Magazines

Started by enjenjo, March 01, 2022, 08:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I am still getting Hot Rod, they are publishing stories and features that would likely have been in Street Rodder and Car Craft in the past. But it's getting pretty thin of late, and not too many ads any more.

I subscribed to Modern Rodder, only the on line version so far, but I may get the printed version when my subscription is up. I just miss turning the pages. There are many of the same names you have seen in the past.

Outside of those two I still get Vintage Truck, and that is about it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

lofat46

I got suckered into a 3 year subscription with Hot Rod and have a year left and will cancel. It's so thin now, and I think they choose the smallest font possible. It not worth it to me anymore.  I used to get 6 or 7 car magazines a month, now I get three, Modern Rodding, Street Scene and Goodguys Gazette. Miss the good old days of Street Rodder, Rod Action, Rodders Digest, Rod & Custom, Car Craft, Popular Hot Rodding and many more.

kb426

I'm doing the same as you guys have stated. When it's time for Hot Rod to renew, I'm going to have to think about it some. Modern Rodder on line isn't really hitting the spot. Street Scene and the Goodguys Gazette are just what they are. Sometimes there's a good article and sometimes they're disappointing. But because that's all that's left, I will continue to support them. I have tried to tell some of my friends that if you don't support the hobby, it will not be there. :)
TEAM SMART

rumrumm

I've given up on subscriptions and only get the GoodGuys Gazette and Street Scene for hard copies. I bookmark enough forums to see 'how-to's' on the web that I don't need magazines anymore.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Rochie

The only subscription I have left is with Canadian Hot rods. Terry Denomme is the editor /publisher.  He has done an amazing job of covering the country's great cars

GPster

I watch Motor Trend on the internet. It's easier for me to watch than read. I also read Pat Gunalh (SP) as he sorts through his archives. I did renew my Rodder's Journal for 2 years but it must hav been the "Kiss of Death" because they quit sending them out. They must have died of Covid. Well I've got RRT. GPster

kb426

Joe, that's a good point. I know that forum posts are a large part of hot rodding these days. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

I quit magazines about the same time I started foruming. Both have long since run their course if you ask me. And it was a good run. I am comforted now by the fact that I didn't make a career of print media as was my direction fresh out of art school. Slinging car paint had to pay off the student loans. So while any mournful tone from me over magazines ending is a thing of the past, its a career bullet dodged for this guy, in that way. :)

I am also strongly considering requesting to remain anonymous in any future features, print or online. But hey... anybody want a quarter century of hot rod or decade of car craft?     Thought not.

In a nutshell: Yep. :blank:
Matt

idrivejunk

I should probably amend that ^^^. I didn't stop subscribing in order to hurt hot rodding. The reason I quit buying magazines was that content with value for me had gone away and support is a two way street.
Matt

chimp koose

IDJ I have to agree with you . Magazines from way back had how to articles based on what to build and how to do it . More recent publications show cased product and how it was installed . I guess if it were not for the aftermarket , hot rodding would not have grown into what it is today . I became a machinist so I would be able to build the cars I wanted because when I first wanted a hot rod you had to be able to do most of it yourself .

chimp koose

I was "gifted" about 700 car magazines last spring . I took them to school and put the word out that anyone who wanted any could just have them , I would prefer they were re read rather than recycled . There is still hope for this world as it took less than 2 weeks for all but a dozen Mustang monthly to find new homes .