Whazzat about Melbourne (Oz) weather? or 2 Bays Rod Run

Started by Carps, April 10, 2005, 04:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carps

Here's a couple of pics to confim the four seasons in one day theory.

Drove there in brilliant sunshine, and to get home, the hurricane turned to a duststorm then thunder, lightning and lotsa rain.  But it's sunny again now.   :wink:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Carps

Carps

Carps

Oh, so you want to see some more?

OK, always happy to oblige.   :wink:
Carps

Carps

Whazzat?  Some hot roddin history?

No problems, this first car was the Aussie version of Milner's coupe back in the sixties.  It's little changed after having recently been 'resscued' fro the original owner/builder's shed by a keen youg rodder who's kept is as close to 'as found' and is havin a ball drivin the wheels off it.
Carps

Carps

Carps

Mr34

Had some free time today hey Carps!
Good pics nice to see some new cars. you're just such a legend!

Brootal

I didn't realise that was Bern's car. Hey Bern, please don't look at my pics of the Vic Hot Rod Show. :)
Yes it is Grandad\'s Old Rambler!

//www.the-rumbler.com

Jimbob

Bern_32

Why not look at your pics Boris - they look great!!!!

QuoteDon't ask me why he's not Bern 28, I guessmaybe his folks really wanted a deuce (twins?)

If I could work out a way to change my login I would become Bern_28, I was only the "deuce" 'cause thats what I was gunna build  :lol:
"Just a Kid in a Hopped Up Model A"

Jahoota

Paint chips add character...

Cragar

well Carps I am honed to think the fenders are the only thing you do not like about my car and Brootal yes I do want every cop in melbourne to know I have fenders it has saved me from getting a yellow sticker the fenders are polished because I thought I would try something different
every one paints them after everyones comments I thought I will leave them at least they got noticed my car never got noticed before I made
a lot of things shine now my car is on TV & mags and I am proud to say
I made it that way :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :D  :D
Why is it flames on a Hotrod are cool?

Brootal

Quote from: "Bern_32"Why not look at your pics Boris - they look great!!!!

Ummm... because I said nasty things about your Holden front end and some people get all defensive about it. :)

So when ARE you going to put an I-beam under it?
Yes it is Grandad\'s Old Rambler!

//www.the-rumbler.com

Greg Wapling

Every bone in my body aches. I'm sunburnt to a crisp. I was fast asleep on the couch by 8 o'clock last night. But I still had a great big smile on my face.

3 days of the best hot rod fun anybody could ever have! If you weren't there, you missed out big time.

The bench session on Friday night was huge! The new venue was working a treat and with a very balmy night there was lots of talking and drinking and eating into the small hours. The Bay Rodders memorabilia display was had a crowd around it all weekend with many older rodders coming up to remember the "good old days" and lots of newer rodders interested in their heritage. Thanks very much to Heather Slater for the fantastic job in getting it all together.

Rodders are notoriously early starters and Saturday morning was to be no different. The girls at registration were being kept very busy with many new entrants turning up, many remarking on the fantastic goodies bags and a 2 Bay tradition, a bag of beautiful Red Hill apples from the Edwards family. Our good friends the Vietnam Veterans Association was cooking up a storm with hundreds of pancakes served to hungry rodders. Then it was time to cruise down to Moorooduc to the historic Mornington railway station to catch the steam train ride. On their return many entrants raved about the train ride and the entertainment as they travelled along. Once back at the station all entrants received a lunch bag with a fresh ham and cheese roll, cake, Mars bar, apple and a box juice. Thanks to Jeff and Heather Cook from the Local Bakery for the rolls and cake and Nestle for the Mars Bars.

Then it was time for the most hotly contested competition of the afternoon, the observation run, this took about an hour for most entrants to complete, I said MOST entrants. Yes, there were some who took a little while longer and their amazing excuses for taking so long are safe with us, honest. At this time we would also like to thank some those entrants for the very creative, but very wrong answers they gave, it had Mark rolling around the floor for hours.

The observation run finished at the Old Aircraft Company, a museum for war planes with many operational planes and even more under going restoration. There is a lot in common with hot rodders and the guys who work on these fantastic pieces machinery, only their pockets have to be a lot deeper. Thanks to Judy Pay and the boys for putting on such a wonderful display. From the airport it was a short drive down the road to the Tyabb Packing House which is now 5 acres of antiques and collectables. Many of the rodders spent the rest of the afternoon keeping out of the heat in the cafes and pubs around Mornington or back at the rod run.

Saturday night and Mornington was alive with hot rods. They were everywhere around town with many rodders making the most of the sizeable discounts that we were able to secure for entrants. The dance at the hall was very well supported and all that attended were entertained by that great little rock and roll band Shadoogie, complete with an Elvis floor show. Half way through the night we held a charity raffle with all of the items donated. The bidding was very lively and there were plenty of bargains to be had. Thanks to all those generous sponsors who donated items and the rodders for bidding and making it all worthwhile. Our main beneficiary is Ronald McDonald House at Monash. We also had on display the special 30th anniversary commemorative cake, which looked too good to eat.

Sunday exceeded all our expectations, there were rods, customs and classics everywhere. The boys on the gates were kept extra busy with many new entrants just coming down for the day and the general public just pouring in to see the spectacle. The Vets were flat out again preparing egg and bacon breakfasts for the entrants. By 10 o'clock the place was really packed, heaps of people looking at the rods, the band pumping out some cool tunes, and a good variety of trade stands to look at and buy from. We even had a shuttle bus to taking entrants out the Mornington Craft Market and the shops in Main Street. Many rodders just looked for a bit of cover from the hot, hot sun and the chance to share a drink and some stories with some buddies. And so it went on for the rest of the morning.
With the weather turning nasty early, presentations were brought forward and with a bit of luck we had them finished just before the next downpour. Many rodders stayed on regardless and even when we had finally finished packing up there were still a few stragglers enjoying what was left of a great day. On the way home I though I cruise Main Street one more time and to my amazement there were still lots of rods up and down the street. This was a truly great weekend.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the Bay Rodders their wives and families for the truly great effort put in over the weekend, especially under such hot and difficult conditions. I'd also like to make special mention of the members of the organising Committee, who did such a fantastic job, not only over the weekend but also in the last 12 months in the lead up to the run. Many members received offers of thanks and congratulations over the weekend for what the entrants considered to be one of the best value and best organised events that they have attended.

To Ron and Cheryl Mills, thanks for the trophies and for opening your house for all the committee meetings and putting up with such a rowdy bunch.
    Our illustrious President Ed and Michelle Narkiewicz for liaison with council and organising so many things and catering.
    Bill and Kerin Duyvestyn organisation and catering.
    Nick and Kaye Duyvestyn for organising the Air Museum and the terrific job on the lanyards.
    Ian and Lyn Cornish our Rod Run bean counter.
    Anne Selmo for pre-entries and registration.
    Mark and Debbie Pullen for the observation run and registration.
    Julie Kendall on registration.
    Jeff and Heather Cook for the fantastic commemorative cake and catering.
    Bob and Silvia Armitage for T-Shirts and catering.
    Ian and Jenni Maddicks for organisation and catering
    Heather Slater for the memorabilia display and catering.
    thank you for your tremendous, tireless efforts.
    And lastly but certainly not least, to Alan and Chris Newton for Main Street Promotion, sponsorships and taking over many of the tasks when I had a change of priorities.

Results and a * load of photos to come.
Yours in Rodding

Greg Wapling
The years have been very kind to me, it\'s just the weekends that have done the damage.....
Hot Rod Internet - Cruising the cyberhighway Down Under

PEDDRO

Looks like you guys had a good time. Wish I coulda been in 4 places at once!

Bern_32

QuoteUmmm... because I said nasty things about your Holden front end and some people get all defensive about it.

Thats okay you are entitled to your opinion I don't have to agree - or do I???  :lol:

Na I think I'll stick to the holden front end, most of its hidden to the uneducated  :shock:
"Just a Kid in a Hopped Up Model A"