1951 F16

Started by kb426, January 12, 2021, 06:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Jaybee, I'm thinking it's the difference in the cruising rpm efficiency from the change of the factory long runner intake versus the standard 4 barrel manifold that's on the truck. However, the 302 is 18 hp. down from the 4.6 that was in the white truck. The sniper display has a consistent afr at 14 -1 running down the road. I had a discussion with Edelbrock years ago on the torque changes that you would see going from long runner to a conventional single four intake and they felt you would loose 20 lbs. ft. down low and gain that back at upper rpm with a standard single 4 intake. I have no knowledge on whether that would affect fuel mileage or not. In my opinion, it's underpowered. :)
TEAM SMART

jaybee

I think you're right on target. Everything you say makes perfect sense. I also think your intake manifold and camshaft may now be mismatched if you're running the stocker. Everything about those engines was optimized to the long runner intake...and running out of breath by 5,000rpm.

It's still an incredibly cool truck and nothing about this situation is unfixable. You might even find a buyer who'll never much notice if it's underpowered and gets poor fuel mileage because they won't drive it that much and mostly through town to a show and shine. I like to think of it getting driven a lot more than that because it is cool and well built, but an awful lot of hobby cars don't get out of the garage that much.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

On the way home from Colorado, I killed a bird with the grille. I was watching in the mirror and didn't see what happened to the remains. When I cleaned the truck, I found a few feathers on the radiator and nothing else. Today I'm checking the oil and looking under the hood. Behind the brake booster under the wiring is where I found him. How did he end up there????? :)
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

I bet he is wondering the same thing.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

The truck has been sold. I have been paid and am waiting on a truck to pick it up to carry it to the new owner. He chose an enclosed trailer. We will both sleep better. :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

congrats on the truck sale . It was a nice unit  8)  8)

jaybee

Congratulations! I like that truck a lot and I hope the new owner enjoys it.

idrivejunk

Matt

kb426

I believe it's the end of the road. :)
TEAM SMART

jaybee

Excellent, a job well done!