New Rear Suspension for 1939 Olds?

Started by 1939coupe, September 20, 2006, 10:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1939coupe

Hello All,
             I'm going to be taking the Original Rear Suspension out of my 39 Olds Coupe to replace with something NEW, any Ideas? 4-Link, Ladder Bar, Leaf Spring? My coupe is a Driver so I want a system that delivers a good ride with the ability to handle the Power from the 421 ci Pontiac that powers the car.

enjenjo

Does your Olds have the torque arm with coil rear suspension? If it does, it's hard to beat. If not, look into a "truck arm" rear suspension.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

1939coupe

My coupe has Coil springs and what look like Ladder Bars on it. It rides good but the problem is the Rubber that is between the Axle (Saddle) and the Bar. The rubber is going bad and I havn't found any replacements.

Scrap Fe

I can show you a triangulated 4 bar on a 39 Chevy.  The body is still off the chassis so it is easy to view and I don't live far from you.

If you want to take a look at my junk send me a PM and I will give you directions.

sirstude

I will do some digging and see if I still have the receipts for the set I bought for my olds.  They are available from one of the companies out there.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

phatn40

I built a 39 Olds sedan a few years ago and used a rear end out of a mid 70's Cutlass. I used all the original trailing arms, etc. but used the Cutlass coils in order to get the height I desired. My car had sat in a barn for 40 years and the rubber inserts in the clamps were still good.The change was almost too easy, since my projects never seem to go easy. You will have to make the shock mounts. I used a Nova sub-frame and the ride was excellent. Good luck with your project.

sirstude

Looks like I bought them from Steele Rubber.

I have
25-0080-32 rear axle track bar bushing and
25-0082-32 rear axle support arm bushing on this receipt.

I think those were the ones, but you might check with them for sure, this was in 1997 that I ordered them.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

1939coupe

Quote from: "sirstude"Looks like I bought them from Steele Rubber.

I have
25-0080-32 rear axle track bar bushing and
25-0082-32 rear axle support arm bushing on this receipt.

I think those were the ones, but you might check with them for sure, this was in 1997 that I ordered them.

Doug

Thank you VARY MUCH! I called Steele Rubber this morning and they still make the part #'s you listed so I ordered them! I have looked all over for replacements and never found them. I couldn't even find these in Steeles catalog in the Oldsmobile section so I didn't think they were available. Now I can keep my original suspension and just rebuild it.
Thanks again, Randy

t-vicky

I have a 40 Olds big 4-door with the coils on it.  Rides as good as my 85 Toronado. I remember getting those rubbers from a mid 60s Chevy PU with coils.