What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

John, I never turned my metal blue. I was concerned about the damage that might occur on my rusty hood. That probably had a great deal to do with my lack of success. The Sunchaser discs are about the diameter you picked. Should you use a variable speed buffer or put it on a single speed grinder and go for it????
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

So many marijuana references :!:  :lol:

Boy howdy I gotta try me a pot lid. Hey nice selection there Cheech  :lol:

OK I'll stop. But I am interested to hear how it goes. Being a single man, my cupboard is probably holding a shrinking disc.  :idea:

Here are some more pics of the ebb and flow at Midlife Automotive Crisis Center... hey weren't Ebb and Flo that handyman couple on Green Acres?

My gravy job is down to mostly just that sponge looking area in front of the driver. Didn't get a finished pic of the left hinge area. Nope, not planning to do anything with those lonely ex weld holes where the tower was. Just added rows of plug welds along the outer apron edge and it did help rigidity a bit.

Bryan is finishing up door and cab corner inner and outer patch panel installations on the 53 Chevy truck and has a start on the floor and inner pillar panel replacements.

Painter has a hodge podge of tapes going here, approximating a factory hand painted stripe size.

Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

Cut & fitted a tube on passenger side of the 1962 Morris Minor 1000   gasser project.

Boot for effect...  I use   these boots for motorcycle riding . And; other stuff too,  8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

The one at the bottom of the second photo looks like the best one to me.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Great fit and a nice shoe Tony.  Sometimes I can get one end to fit well but to get both ends to fit is a big deal.  :D

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

UGLY OLDS

Gee Tony ...That one tube looks to be aboot 1/4" too long ..... :?  

( Somebody had to do it .... :roll: ) .. :lol:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

I couldn't fit pipe together to save my life... unless of course somebody asks me to. Yes is the default answer. :)

So the last time I slammed the house door to the garage because of being mad at dog barking, the lights in the garage, dining room, and kitchen went out. One of the times since then that I came home to loud barking and just sat everything down when I came in the house to go video the barking...

I had set one piece of junk mail and my tag renewal notice down where I don't usually set it down. Since all this roughly coincided with daylight savings, I only get to see inside the front halfof the house on weekend days. Halfway through last month, I notice the renewal letter where I misplaced it and immediately sent payment even though the deadline was close.

So over a month later I realize my tag is expired. Went to website, no reciept available. Nonsensical message indicating unable to renew and something about 90 days in red. I cuss the dog mercilessly, from my room.

Devoid of other options, I wake extra early and hit the DMV on this day off. Half hour wait and the lady says "they got your check", here let me just do it for free. OK. For them.

No indication that a sticker was sent, and I'm good to go now but frequently I get neighbors' mail. Even picked up a letter for someone two doors down, just laying in the street under my mailbox the other day. This is my life now, run by negligence. :evil:

Today is my opportunity to gift shop for the family but I just got last month's bills paid and theres another round staring up at me. And the dog is barking, probably will be all day so jail is a possibility. Somebody come build a cage around me please. None of this is helping. :roll: If nobody road rages on me while I go pick up a few gifts, that will be a Christmas miracle. I sincerely hope that all you guys' holiday preparations are going at least this smoothly.
:)
Matt

58 Yeoman

In Illinois, they charge you an extra $30 if you're over 30 days late to renew. Early this year, I noticed that both antique cars have old tags on them. I just know that I renewed them, but I looked everywhere twice, and couldn't find them. Even my wife looked. *. Take the titles to the secretary of state's office uptown and tell them I need new stickers. She looks on the puter, and said that we had renewed them. Well, I don't have them. Pay $30 or $40, I don't remember, and I get new stickers. Put them right on the plates as soon as I got home.

Bought a new to me Tacoma in May, and I cleaned out the Ranger getting it ready to be put up for sale. Found both antique stickers on the cards in the drivers door pocket.  Dammit...
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

WZ JUNK

I have been experimenting on an old truck hood this morning.  Some success but nothing to brag about yet.  I will continue with practice this afternoon until my back starts hurting.  This will be an ongoing schooling over the next few days..

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "kb426"John, I never turned my metal blue. I was concerned about the damage that might occur on my rusty hood. That probably had a great deal to do with my lack of success. The Sunchaser discs are about the diameter you picked. Should you use a variable speed buffer or put it on a single speed grinder and go for it????

I am going to watch some more of the youtube videos.  It is working but it does not seem to be making the heat that I would like and it is taking a long time to work a small area.   I have to run it a long time to get any color in the metal.  I am quenching the spots with compressed air.  Maybe I should try a wet cloth to quench.  

More experiments tomorrow.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

Crosley.In.AZ

In Arizona... they split the license plate re-new time up.  Some plates expire on the end of the month.  Some expire on the 15th of the month.

Young kid at work was stopped couple months back.  He thought his plate expired on the 30th... wrong.  It was on the 15th.  The day he was stopped?  It was the 16th of the month.  Cop did not write him a performance report.  I told the kid he did something that caught the eye of the cop or the patrol car had a plate scanner system in it.

Then...... few years ago  (maybe more) .  AZ started offering  the email re-newal notice.  No paper mail delivery.  The way people move - relocate in this state.  They would not receive a paper mail notice since they did not update their address with MVD of Arizona.

The email notice service got sideways , people not updating that information.  Many folks were paying a penalty on late re-newals.  Citizens were melting down email messages to  the local reps in the AZ  Legislature.

So now:  1 time a year you receive a test email from the AZ MVD to check on valid emails for the license renewal.

My brother worked for MVD as a Sargent doing inspections , investigations  here for 12 - 13 yrs...  He has stories to tell.   He even did MVD inspections at Barrett - Jackson one year.  All the car auctions here is the main cause of how tight the AZ laws on car titles & VIN tags  are now
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

WZ JUNK

Now I need to plan the method for shrinking the oil can area.  Should I start from the outside and work toward the middle or start in the middle and work out?  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

idrivejunk

I would guess middle but its a guess.

A friend told me of a new DMV in the next county that has remewal machines with one attendant, kinda like the setup all the stores just went to for checkout. Sounded like that worked well for them. I got my new sticker on Friday and was pulled over on Sunday and given a warning for not signaling a right with nobody around. Monday I installed the new headlights on the GTP, that Dad gave me. It was a good holiday all around. Today I shaved more firewall. Almost done.

Biscayne owners were by today bearing gracious gift cards to Twin Peaks for us guys who fixed up their car. That was above and beyond, very nice of them. Our part timer with the Acura (my GTP's arch nemesis) swapped parts and went E85 for a gain of 12 WHP since I last saw him. Romped it with my miled-out junk though, and maybe worse than before. Can't restrain himself from flooring it on every shift and smokes em into third. :roll:
Matt

kb426

I'm in the middle of a cold front. I'm doing things in the house, not outside. Only 6 months till summer. :)
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

Propane company came today and sucked out ~200 gallons of liquid from my tank, then replaced the level gauge and vapor valve. The level gauge had been leaking, and he said that the vapor valve looked like it might go at any time, so they replaced it too. Took them just less than an hour. Took them longer to pump the liquid out than it did to do the repair work. Smells like propane here now...he had a bad 'gasket' on his hose. Five degrees outside when they were here.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil