If you were buying a new car....

Started by purplepickup, March 28, 2009, 12:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

....what would you get if your priorities were reliability, cost, gas mileage, and ability to tow 1500 lbs?

Now that I'm retired I need dependable daily driver.  The transmission on my '01 Taurus is acting funny and I think I smell antifreeze in the defroster.

I rode along with Sue today to take her Rav4 in for an oil change and a checkup today . While we were waiting I strolled around the lot.  Even Toyotas have cashback now.  

I was thinking that maybe with the economy screwed up and GM close to going  broke, right now it might be a good time to check on a new car.

Any suggestions?
George

Carnut

Heh heh, If I had the money to buy a new car, I would buy a new Dodge Challenger Coupe.

wayne petty

replacement cars...   seems there was a news story a few days ago...

hundreds of thousands of cars just waiting ...  sitting in storage lots all over so cal...    i wondered why there were so many brand new, still wrapped audi's and porsches loaded on car transporters on the hollywood freeway..

the report said it was about a six month supply during normal sales times..

i too would like a new challenger...

purplepickup

Yeah they did good on that one George.  

I should have added that I'd be driving back woods 2 tracks a lot....and affordable to me is less than 20K....way less I'm hoping.
George

Carnut

Heh, heh, otherwise I would buy a truck.

chimp koose

Purple pickup, how about this? KIJIJI ad id 101871068 in the classic cars section. Best of both worlds?

enjenjo

KIA Serento. 100,000 mile warrentee, you can get one for $12,000 if you look around.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Carnut

Heh, heh, guess I haven't changed too much since buying my first car and what I would buy.

Whoda thunkit that a 19 yr old buying  an 'oh so cool' 4spd stick new Dodge Charger would still be driving it 42 yrs later and cursing that stupid clutch and 4spd.

chopped

I'm going to wait to see about the "cash for clunker" deal they still talk about. If I can get $7500 for my 98 GMC I'm going for something smaller with more MPG>

Fat Cat

I would look at the 04-06 versions of the Hyundai Santa Fe. We drove one while out looking at the Vera Cruz. I told Miss Kitty that if I were in the market for a new daily in the next couple of years that we would be right back there at the Hyundai dealer looking at the Santa Fe's. The only reason that we did not by the Santa Fe was that the Vera Cruz offered more room for 7 passengers and we kind of wanted to be able to haul the kids and my parents in one cars if we were making a trip out to dinner or something like that.

Crosley.In.AZ

I may go back to driving older cars.  Pre 1967 in AZ do not require emission exhaust tests.

Can these Kia and Hyundai vehicles tow 1500 pounds with a load of people in the vehicle?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"KIA Serento. 100,000 mile warrentee, you can get one for $12,000 if you look around.

My bro bought a Kia 2004 mini van new... his 100 k warranty seems to cover near nothing unless the crank falls out of the engine.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Fat Cat

Quote from: "Crosley"I may go back to driving older cars.  Pre 1967 in AZ do not require emission exhaust tests.

Can these Kia and Hyundai vehicles tow 1500 pounds with a load of people in the vehicle?

My Vera Cruz has a 3500 pound towing capacity.

ONE37TUDOR

With all the problems facing the american auto makers I would think we would all spend more time thinking about making a purchase of a US badged auto than something from an out of US supplier?
Both Ford and GM have come a long way in the last several years and while the price may still be a bit higher than some the trade in return is also more.

Scott...
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT

Ohio Blue Tip

I would not buy a new car, as you still lose to much money.  I have bought one new truck in my life and it was a mistake, but I plan to drive it another 10 years.
I would buy a used SUV that is coming off a two year lease.  Maybe a Buick or Chevy, they are at a good price and the little extra in gas cost is saved on the now cheap prices.  That is what my friends that are much better off then I, do for their transportation.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken