Off topic - Epson printer lawsuit

Started by purplepickup, May 23, 2006, 07:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

Being computer people I thought maybe someone here has an Epson printer that qualifies for some cash as a result of a settlement in a class action lawsuit.  The suit was about the way they designed their print cartridges.  The settlement offers three options to recoup a little money or credit.  

I bought a CX4600 all-in-one and had nothing but troubles with it.  Their customer service people finally admitted that it was junk and replaced it with a CX4800 which isn't any better.  I sent in a claim for each of them.

Here's the website for more info:  http://www.epsonsettlement.com/
George

58 Yeoman

I've bought 4 or 5 printers, and got mail on each one of them.  But, I thought that we didn't have to send in anything to be eligible for the $45 gift card.  I'm on my second 4600, and it's been okay so far.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Sean

Thanks George, I think the way their cartridges work is kind of crappy too, and if it wasn't for the excellent quality prints I get from mine, I would have bought a different brand already. main problem I have with their cartridges is the fact that you can't refill them. Oh, you can get a kit and refill them, but the print quality is horrible. I wonder if they don't have the cartridges programmed to print poorly on purpose if refilled.

The quality of the prints though, compared to the several other brands I have tried in the past, is worth putting up with a little crap IMO. I don't even have one of the fancy ones, mine's just a "Photo R200", but man that thing makes beautiful prints. I have found that it is pretty sensitive to the type of Paper used though. Color reproduction with at least two of the big name papers didn't look good at all, and I wasn't too impressed with Epsons own paper either.

I have had the best luck with Jetprint's "Portrait Studio-Brilliant Satin". The 8x10's that I print on that paper are indistinguishable (to me anyway) from the pro-printed 8x10's that I have, and actually look better than the enlargements you get on the Kodak machine at Wal-Mart.

purplepickup

Phil, they sent me a card on one of mine too, but not the other.  You don't have to do anything if you just want the $45 credit at the Epson store but I didn't want that so I took one of the other choices (cash) which requires you to send the card in.

Sean, I agree that when they worked, the quality was great but if I didn't use mine all the time the ink would dry up and I'd have to clean the print heads which used up all  my ink.  The cartridges have a chip in them to shut the unit down when the ink gets low.  That was the trouble.  I think it was part of the basis of the lawsuit too.  The cartridge still had lots of ink in it but you couldn't use it.  I got a chip resetter on ebay so that I could continue to use the machine and the rest of the ink.  It just got old real quick...and very expensive at over $65 for new cartridges.  My HP can sit there unused for months and still print perfectly.  I still use one of them for a scanner but the other went on ebay and now it's someone else's problem.  As far as pictures goes, I don't print that many anyway but Sue takes hers to a local store and they're only $.09 per print.

I just thought people might want to know.  Some people I work with didn't get anything in the mail and they have printers that qualify.
George

jusjunk

Quote from: "purplepickup"Being computer people I thought maybe someone here has an Epson printer that qualifies for some cash as a result of a settlement in a class action lawsuit.  The suit was about the way they designed their print cartridges.  The settlement offers three options to recoup a little money or credit.  

I bought a CX4600 all-in-one and had nothing but troubles with it.  Their customer service people finally admitted that it was junk and replaced it with a CX4800 which isn't any better.  I sent in a claim for each of them.

Here's the website for more info:  http://www.epsonsettlement.com/

I got one too George but i opted for the store deal but i havent figured out yet how to get anything. I didnt see a place for the claim number they gave me. I bought a all in one hp after i got my notebook cause it was cheap with an 80 dollar rebate and i really like it. I used to always buy epson but they got me thinking now and ive still got 2  one is the little photo printer.
Dave

Sean

Quote from: "purplepickup"if I didn't use mine all the time the ink would dry up and I'd have to clean the print heads which used up all  my ink.  

I noticed that about a year ago. Mine had set for 4 or 5 weeks without printing anything, and when I tried to use it the heads were clogged. Took two cleaning sessions to get it to print right again, and used a butload of ink doing it. Since then, I have made it a point to print something at least once a week. I usually just pick a small, colorful picture that doesn't take a lot of ink, just enough to get the ink moving through the heads. Haven't had a problem since.

You must have a different set of cartridges than I do, or you're getting a better deal. It usually ends up costing me around $90 to replace all of them at once. The 5 color cartridges are usually around $63, and the Black cartridge is another $20.