GM closing plants

Started by phat46, November 26, 2018, 01:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

I see the news today that GM is closing at least three major plants by the end of 2019. One here in Hamtramk Mi. One in Lorraine Oh, and one in Oshuwa, Ontario. They are following Ford in reducing the number of car models and concentrating on SUV's and trucks. There will be a loss of about 4,500 jobs, 2,500 in Ontario alone. I feel bad for all those affected, not only at the closing plants but their suppliers as well, probably going to be many more jobs lost there also

chimp koose

I was told for every 7 jobs on the line another would be lost somewhere else . By those numbers there would be another 300ish lost elsewhere . Sad days ahead for those in the auto industry .

chimp koose

hows my math? More like 600 plus in the supply chain .

Arnold

The Oshawa plant was once the largest auto plant in the world. 30,000 employees. Billions of taxpayer$'s..some not paid back..was pumped into it. It has seen hit after hit after GM and the Government and a LOT! of others just "Knew" that small cars were the way to go...and here to stay. Nope. Both Ford and GM are focusing on demand..for trucks.
 GM pretty much built Oshawa..I am surprised that real estate has become..and gotten even more expensive as GM has pretty much been wiped out there over the years.