The GPS in GPster's Jeepster

Started by GPster, January 13, 2023, 08:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

Your Speedhut speedometer's wiring sounds like it's the same as mine, almost like it's a brand named version of mine from the same manufacturer. I noticed the odometer counting but I never saw it come up to 300 but the instructions with my unit were very incomplete so I thought there was something wrong that the odometer was counting without the vehicle moving. Thanks for the comments because there's a little bit of information I can put together from every comment to help solve this problem. I just checked the weather and it will be Tuesday until the weather will be good enough to get the Jeepster out and drive it. If the antenna would gat a signal when I pushed the car outside I couldn't tell if I couldn't move it. GPster

GPster

I went over town to pick-up something for my wife. She evidently thought I was spending too much time worrying about this speedometer situation. Checking our E mail I see she ordered ma a replacement speedometer that is the same as mine but is under a different private brand name. So if I don't get this one working I'll have another one to try that will be enough of a current purchase that I can return it. Maybe Tuesday when th weather is better I'll have some closure. But don't stop sending your ideas. GPster

GPster

Disregard the previous post. Amazon had showed a picture of something I had looked at before and I thought it was part of an order. So it's still Tuesday for the next step. But that escape is still in the back of my mind. GPster

GPster

The disappointment of the day. The sun is shining so I pushed the Jeepster out of the garage and turned the key on so the antenna could find a signal. Somewhere I have read that the odometer would start to count if the power was on and that counting would go on until the antenna found a signal. If it had not found a signal by the time the odometer had counted to 300 there would be an ERR on the odometer's screen. That part worked because I got the ERR which I had expected (?). Put the new antenna (that I had gotten from Ebay) on and the odometer started counting until it got to 300 and it gave me the ERR. So I know that much of the speedometer works. I turned off the key to reset the odometer (which it did) and took the Jeepster out for a drive and didn't even get a flinch on the speedometer's needle. That's disappointing in that I managed to install this thing and didn't get any wires crossed, the car starts, runs and shifts, the directional lights, high beam light and the back lights work and the installation in the dash is according to plan. Enough thinking for today. GPster

kb426

That's too bad, Joe. I was hoping you found the answer. :)
TEAM SMART

GPster

Well I "bit the bullet" and ordered a new one. I found on the site 134 comments and it seemed that 25% of the people that bought this speedometer had problems so I hope that if I tried another one I'd have a chance that it would work. I started to install it today so if doesn't work I've am still within the Amazon warrantee period. GPster

tomslik

hey gpstr, which "button did you use to do the setup? The remote button doesn't work for that (*as i found out). you have to use the one on the back of the speedo
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

GPster

The first time around I didn't hook up the remote button because I could reach the button on the back of the speedometer fairly easily. With this this second try I bad provisions to mount the remote  button because what I could gather from the information I have collected it will be helpful to be able to get to the remote button to reset the odometer (rather than laying on my side reaching under the dash to press the button and turning the key and trying to see the odometer display and timing that all together) but that is good information for when I try to set this new one up to work (assuming that it will). I bought this replacement from Amazon that was being marketed under a different brand (different part of China) thinking that for $5.00 more the installation instructions might be more complete. Not so! Everything was exactly the same and no identification 0f the vender so you can't ask question about it there. Maybe this one will work. GPster   

GPster

Well I got one that works! GPster

kb426

Praise the god of rods and pass the beer. :)
TEAM SMART

GPster

My wife has been witnessing my mood changes throughout this adventure and was delighted with the latest outcome. With the latest result she wrote Amazon ready to relay this adventure and while looking for a site on their WEB she stumbled on a site to register my journey. Even though it all started with the initial purchase of the original GPS speedometer last November we were instructed to take the original speedo to the UPS store where they would package it and alert Amazon for instructions. This seemed like it was an ordinary procedure at the UPS Store. I went home and within an hour we had a refund from Amazon for the purchase price of the replacement. These outcomes have raised my mood so much that I'm not even bothered that I still have a power steering fluid leak somewhere. GPster

kb426

TEAM SMART

chimp koose

Crosley.In.AZ

Joe:  sounds like some good news on the GPS speed-O unit.  :wink:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)