HF lawsuit

Started by purplepickup, March 16, 2017, 03:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

It appears that there is a proposed settlement in the class action lawsuit against Harbor Freight that was filed last year for improperly advertising merchandise at a "sale" or "compare at" price when the same items had not been sold at the advertised regular or "compare at" price for at least 28 of the preceding 90 days.

If the details I've read are true there's a substantial amount of money to be returned to customers. I haven't absorbed the details but there are a number of forums and news sites discussing it.

If you've bought stuff there from April 8, 2011 to December 15, 2016 and have receipts or other proof, it sounds like it might be worth your while to check this out if this turns out to be as it seems.

I assume there are people here that this might affect so I thought I'd post it. Personally, I've spent around $2500 during the time this covers....and I've kept my receipts. :D

Here's a quote explaining some details from a thread on SlickDeals shopping forum:

"Harbor Freight Class Action Settlement - Get cash back or gift cards for purchases made from 4/8/11-12/15/16!!
Harbor Freight just settled a class action suit due to falsely advertising the "regular price" of items, and therefore falsely claiming the amount that you save when an item is "on sale". Full details of the case and settlement, as well as instructions on submitting a claim, can be found here: http://www.nationalsalepricesettlement.com.

The options to claim damages are as follows:

OPTION A. Customers who have itemized Harbor Freight receipts reflecting one or more purchases between April 8, 2011 and December 15, 2016 with a "you saved" amount reflected on their receipts can submit copies of those receipts and elect to receive either 20% in cash, or 30% in a Harbor Freight gift card, of the total "you saved" amount listed on their receipts, excluding any amounts reflecting free items or items that were later returned.
EXAMPLE: If you have receipts showing total "savings" on multiple items totaling $480, you have the option of getting 20% cash back ($96) or 30% ($144) on a Harbor Freight gift card.

OPTION B. Customers who have credit or debit card statements reflecting one or more purchases at Harbor Freight between April 8, 2011 and December 15, 2016 can submit copies of those statements and elect to receive either 10% in cash, or 12% in a Harbor Freight gift card, of the total Harbor Freight purchases on their credit or debit card statement(s), excluding any amounts reflecting items that were later returned.
EXAMPLE: If you have credit card statements showing $2,400 in purchases at Harbor Freight, you have the option of getting 10% ($240) cash back or 12% ($288) on a Harbor Fright gift card.

OPTION C. All other customers who made purchases at Harbor Freight between April 8, 2011 and December 15, 2016 may submit one declaration, signed under penalty of perjury, stating that they purchased an item from Harbor Freight (other than a free or later-returned item) that was advertised with a higher reference price (e.g., "reg. $XXX," "only $XXX," or "comp. at $XXX") adjacent to a lower current offering price, and that they do not have itemized Harbor Freight receipts or credit or debit card statements of their Harbor Freight purchases. Customers submitting this declaration will receive one $10 Harbor Freight gift card.
This one is pretty self explanatory. "

...and here's a link to the thread if you want to read discussion.
George

kb426

I threw all my receipts away a few months ago. However, I check their prices closely because I was aware of their advertising on pricing. I do not believe that I overpaid for what I bought. I don't think I spent as much as Bob, but I'm sure I spent a grand or more. I bet it's an eye opener as to what this cost for lawyers and refunds. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

read this post the other evening...  next day I received  an email explaining stuff on the lawsuit .

Receipts ?  Nope. I could dig up credit card charges on record
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

Got my email too. This is a sign of the times. Big business too big for their britches. And the settlement ain't worth participating for. Just like the Wells Fargo one. It was $75. What a joke. I can't understand pushy growth based sales mentality built on bs.
Matt

GPster

I just look at HF ads for reminders of what I need. If I've just broken the last of my 1/8" drill bits I'll look for what's free with any purchase or if there's a 20% coupon. We try to plan our HF trips with Sams Club trips or if I travel alone (?) I take my dog (Abby) because HF is dog friendly and we can make a big round trip out of it so we can stop at Rural King also. Not only are they dog friendly but they keep a coffee pot and a pop corn maker going and Abby helps keep their floor clean. Things like that long air grinder are nice but I don't have an air compressor so that kind of stuff would add to the expense of building the Jeepster which will never be worth much. GPster

idrivejunk

GPster, a word of caution from IDJ is don't get your 1/8" bits there. Snap, bleed. I get 10 packs off a tool truck.
Matt

GPster

Quote from: "idrivejunk"GPster, a word of caution from IDJ is don't get your 1/8" bits there. Snap, bleed. I get 10 packs off a tool truck.
The best 1/8" drill bits I ever found I got from an old German salesman that sold Sprague capacitos. I bought them for the sheet metal workers for installing "pop" rivets in duct work. They had drill points on both ends so when the drill got dropped off the ladder and broke off the drill bit you could just turn it around in the chuck and used the un-broken end and get back to work. They were the sharpest bits you could imagine. My problem with drill bits is that only seeing out if one eye I have trouble telling if I'm drillling straight. I mostly brake them from drilling side-ways. The quality of the bits doesn't make any difference for drilling for me. I don't have any problem if I can get the work in my drill press. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

Situation with me is:  I was happy with a price I paid at HF or I did not buy.

You always shop the ads for HF since they seem to have multiple prices & item numbers for the same item.

I have several tools I have used 1 or 2 times for a specific job I had at the time.

looking at local Craig's List, you can find HF tools for sale that guys have done the same thing:  used them 1 or 2 times , then sell them at half price or so.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

Most Class Action lawsuits leave a bad taste for me. I've always been aware that HF 'compare at' prices are just marketing...a little deceptive but I knew it. I make the decision to buy based on what the item is worth to me and I have a ton of HF stuff. I only posted this for information.

That being said another class action suit hit close to home for me. Two years ago we had a Frigidaire dehumidifier catch on fire in the basement. It was on the concrete floor, over a drain and didn't catch anything else on fire...just stunk like hell. It could have been worse though. I just saw where the Chinese manufacturer lost a suit for fires and is ordered to replace the units or reimburse customers.

As distasteful as suits can be, sometimes there's a need to somehow deal with bad business practices. I just wish the lawyers couldn't take so much.
George

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "purplepickup"As distasteful as suits can be, sometimes there's a need to somehow deal with bad business practices. I just wish the lawyers couldn't take so much.

Therein lies the problem.  ....The only reason lawyers instigate a class-action suit is because they are windfalls for the lawyers.

Take away their incentive, and the class-action suits would not exist.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Harry

Up here on the tundra, we have Canadian Tire.
They have been doing the same thing with their prices.
On Sale for $49.00, Reg. $79.00.
They never sold one of those things for $79.00
I hope someone sues the bastards.