Cutting open an electric vacuum pump

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, March 23, 2019, 10:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Olde Snap On evac pump for a/c work.  Looks like a basic refrigeration compressor to me.

Any body cut one of these open for a look see?  This has set on my shelf for 8 - 10 yrs, unused.  When i put it away, it worked like a champ

I got it out and plugged it in.  It hums, does not sound like it is running, no vacuum action , then the internal circuit breaker pops
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

sirstude

1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

GPster

Quote from: "Crosley"Olde Snap On evac pump for a/c work.  Looks like a basic refrigeration compressor to me.
Any body cut one of these open for a look see?  This has set on my shelf for 8 - 10 yrs, unused.  When i put it away, it worked like a champ I got it out and plugged it in.  It hums, does not sound like it is running, no vacuum action , then the internal circuit breaker pops
Wasn't laying on it's side while on the shelf was it? If it's like a refrigerator compressor the motor is laying an oil bath and laying on it's side would allow oil to get into the suction side of the compressor and it will hydrolially lock .There should be a start relay because most of that type of compressors have a start terminal. Maybe the relay is stuck? GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

Joe:  nope.  The unit was sitting in uprite position. In the OEM box.  Sat about 10 yrs from last time I used it.

I drained the oil out of it.  Stunk real bad.  Stunk up the shop for several days.  Even my wife asked W T H is that smell?

Not had the time to get back on this,  too many things going on.  Plus:  Looks like my older (only)  brother and his wife may move in here for a while.  They are moving back to AZ from CT ......   another looong story there.  LOL
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)