48 chevy truck

Started by kb426, September 07, 2022, 04:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Early this morning I'm on my way to coffee and it's snowing lightly. Not a problem, I have wipers. :) For a while. About half way, the arm slips on the shaft and gets out of alignment. The shaft is not splined. I will have to align it again and then remove the motor. It will get welded or pinned, whatever looks to be the best repair at that time. I was very disappointed in this development. I think I've put 6 wiper motors in old trucks and this is the 1st one to give trouble. On another note, the truck is no longer squirrely on the icy stuff. It drives like it ought to. :)
TEAM SMART

jaybee

I figured it would handle better. The way it's set up, it should be well balanced front/rear, but the rear wheel alignment was WAY out of spec.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

O&S spent part of the day chasing ghosts. :) I checked voltages at various points on the engine and came up with nothing. I jacked up the rear and removed 3/4" of spring preload and changed the rebound adjuster. I'm playing with adjustments to change the ride quality. :) I purchased a Ford Taurus fan that has been a popular swap for cooling. I plugged it into a battery and let it run for around an hour to see if it was DOA before attempting the swap. It will involve a far amount of work. The fan that came with the radiator will barely keep up with the engine in cool weather. I ordered some 70 amp relays to handle the fan. After doing so, I ran across a thread where a soft start controller was mentioned. I sent the company an email asking for some info. I'd like to have that if it's still available. The owner mentions that it's modeled after the Ford CCRM such as on a 96 mustang. There are some similar products out there but they each have a down side for my application. I see that Dakota Digital has a fan controller available. It appears that all it does is control the relays, no soft start. That's no different than the Centech unit I have now. The journey continues. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S had a day. :) I started out checking tps voltages. No problem there. I tackled the wiper motor. I spent at least an hour getting it back in time. Then I removed it and determined that it's time to cut my losses. The only way to get to the motor is to remove at least one of the gauge clusters. The master cat5 cable is stuck in it. I was able to remove the wiper motor and then play with the cable. I have exp. with such. I know that the only way to remove it will be to disassemble the gauge. No warranty if you do that. Dakota is very easy to deal with on this but I will have to send the gauge and cable in for repair. That means I will have no gauges. While I'm working on this, I see that I have a rock pit in the windshield after the snow we had last weekend. The city had spread sand at intersections and I remember hearing some noise while in traffic going back from coffee. I have less than 300 miles on it. You'd think it was from a 96 mustang. :)
TEAM SMART

jaybee

Shakedown time...so important and so aggravating.

kb426

I put up a project video. It's just a compilation of pics. If you're suffering from insomnia, it could be useful.
{https://youtu.be/VxOe8n5bmI4}
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Preparing for paint.  A strange looking subject
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

Holy Moly Batman, where's the rest of it? :)
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Sorry, I meant to post that photo in the thread about what I was doing today. I guess I should not have had that last beer at the end of the day. :)
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

That's quite all right. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

:lol:  ^^^  :)

Good stuff, you two.  ;)  ;D

The tunes on the vid kept me awake tapping a foot... familiar melodies in an instrumental surf vibe. I must say I came away feeling as though I had been to a car show. Right on. Nutshell documentation and a fine sales tool. Chock full of rodding. What could be more legit?

Building clever frugal rods one after the other, back to back. Thats what. Yet another amazing journey by Kansas Bill. :arrow:

I found it informative and entertaining. Impressive. I applaud the jamming a little GM edgeways up your build (and the thread). :) 
Matt

kb426

I made a condensed video for those that might want to see an overview.
{https://youtu.be/vptpoNTBFrE}
TEAM SMART

kb426

TEAM SMART

jaybee

Awesome, thanks for the video!

kb426

O&S had one of "those" days. After the 1st wiper motor failed, I bought the high priced one in a horizontal mode to allow more clearance where the wiring and ducts run. It didn't clear the dash. I trimmed the mounting bracket about 3/16" where it wasn't important. Still didn't quite work. I put a spacer of a little over 1/4" to give it some clearance. That allowed me to bolt it up and find the right side arm hits the cowl vent bracket. By then I've figured out that the switch can't go in the original hole and even remotely clear the motor. I test run it without the arms on and it's binding on both arms for some reason. I'm ready to cut my loses and move forward. I have around 6 hours in figuring out that I'm in trouble. :)
TEAM SMART