1976 Rust test in progress

Started by kb426, September 30, 2019, 08:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

This was delivered to me sunday. There is a grille and headlight assembly along with a radiator support to go along with this. I wanted it for the cab and front clip. I don't have a real plan yet for this mess. There is rust under the drip rail on the right side. I think I entered IDJ's land. :) It is an XLT that has all the side trim removed. As you might imagine, it wasn't expensive. It has hail dents on the top and hood. I'm going to have to develop a plan before doing much. I cleaned the debris from it before taking the pics.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Yep, you are in Ford country. You may recently have passed through a black hole. Somebody stop this crazy merry go round! :arrow:
:)
Matt

chimp koose

Jeez KB ! is the paint even dry on your last project yet ? You are making me an Bob look BAD ! You are probably squeezing your projects this close together so none of our projects land in your driveway  :lol:  :lol:

kb426

About a week ago, I washed this thing to see how rough it was. Plenty. :) I got far enough ahead on the yard work that I had time to do a little disassembly today. Last night, a trooper came by and did the vin inspection so I can get a title now. With that out of the way, I removed the hood, fenders, inner fenders and the ac/heater unit. That allowed a little more access to see how extensive the rust in that area was. No real surprises were found. My plan is to get the cab removed before it gets cold and get it on a cart or trailer so I can work on it the warmer days.
TEAM SMART

kb426

It got up to 68 degrees here this afternoon. I did some yard work and moved stuff around to prepare for lift off. :) The bolts are out of the cab, If the weather will cooperate, I will get the cab removed in the next couple of days. I'm leaning towards putting it on the roll around cart to start rust repair as time and weather allows.
TEAM SMART

phat46

That's not too bad, there's trucks in Michigan that were built in this century that are worse. 😄

kb426

O&S to Houston: We have lift off! :) Removal went well. Time consuming moving everything around in the grass to get to the concrete.  Couple of pics showing the underneath side from the rear.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I felt like Matt's assistant today. :)
For those of us old enough to remember the phrase, I feel like I did exploratory surgery today. I cut a few spots to see what was left. Most of the spots that have 2 parts together have some form of rust. I put the seat inside and put the doors back on. It's semi weatherproof to be outside now. I need to get a plan of what I'm doing before proceeding much more. O&S needs plenty of time to contemplate. :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

What to do with it ? Cragar 5 spokes with white letter tires ,glass pack mufflers with side pipes , dark tinted windows , METALFLAKE , and those mud flaps with the shapely chrome girl figures on them .   8)  8)  8)  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

chimp koose

OH I forgot to mention the the diamond tuck velvet interior , shag carpet and 8track  player ! 8)  8)  8)  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

kb426

C.K. you got to cut back on something. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

This is probably the end of posting on this pile. I have stripped the cab of anything useful. Some of the parts will go on the 78, some will be put up for sale. I'm thinking about taking the rest of the truck and making a pickup bed trailer out of it. There's a half decent front clip and the 2 doors that might be useful for someone. I think it will take something akin to a small miracle to bail on this successfully. LOL.
TEAM SMART