1966 Nova Build

Started by Glen, May 24, 2010, 10:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glen

I thought you guys might enjoy this build.  I bought this 66 Nova from a local guy whos dad bought it brand new.  The car was running and driving when I bought it but I didnt want the motor/trans or wheels/tires.  I made a deal and bought the car.

The chassis under it was a 2x3 Chris Alston chassis with a strut front end.   I want to go fast with this car so I pulled the body off and started building a new chassis.

I got the car for a great price so anything I pulled out of the deal was just extra money.  It had a lot of great parts, 40 spline mosier axles, wilwood brakes, strange adjustable struts, all lightweight go fast parts.

Glen

fast forward a few weeks and I pulled the body off the old chassis:

and mounted the new frame rails to the frame table, the rails are 1.6250  x .083 chromoly.  I made these aluminum blocks that clamp the rails tight, I know that if I get the main rail that holds the four link perfect everything will build from there.

after everything was clamped tight, I tacked the piece of steel to the table as you can see below, now nothing moves.

enjenjo

Looks like a good start.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Glen

I should add too, that I am not capable of doing this by myself, I have help from a friend that used to build pro stock cars for some of the big names in racing.

in order to get everything as tight as possible, we set the body back on the table, then mounted the perimeter bars, like the main hoop, dash bar, rocker bars and the rear two bars that run to the back bumper.

the main hoop only has 1/2" clearance between the roof support and the main hoop.  I dont want it to like a pinto cage in a nova.

Glen

Here is the halo, again trying to keep it high and tight.

after the perimeter was completed we pulled the body back off.  here you can see the front struts are mounted so we can set caster and then build the front bars out and back to the frame.  I pulled the struts back off and sent them to Strange to convert them to stud mounts.  It will make a much prettier mount when completed.

and now its really starting to get good.

here is the chromoly sheetmetal axle housing from Jerry Bickel, and his matching chromoly four link.  I made the solid bars to mock up the rear coilovers.  I want room for a 16x33 tire, the car will need all the tire it can get to run quicker than an 8 second quarter mile.

Glen

I kind of saved these pics up until I had enough to give you a picture of where I am headed.

Here is the back of the car with a few bars added, and the anti roll bar is mounted, its 1.125" in diameter and made by Sander the sprint car guys.

The powerglide and mid plate are just sitting there to measure for the crossmember, the rule book requires those to be X amount of inches from the main cross bar.

I started working on the funny car cage yesterday, I think once that is in the car will really start to look mean.  They always become the focal point of a race car.  If your wondering I am certifying the car to a 25.4 SFI spec and hope to run low 8's to high 7's.

I will keep adding pics as I make some good progress.  There are some days its hard to tell I did anything.

jaybee

All this to get wide tires under the back?  :)

Can't wait to see more.  Thanks.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "jaybee"All this to get wide tires under the back?  :)

Can't wait to see more.  Thanks.

Not eggzackly...  the 2x3 tube chassis would not cert to 7's , so Glen started over with a proper chassis build.

I had no idea Glen intended on going this fast months back when I was talking about running faster than his Model A sedan car.  I was thinking low 9's for me , while Glen was thinking on low 8's or high 7's in the quarter mile.

I need to get over to Glen's again and see the recent  work done by him and Don
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Glen

Am I boring you guys with this stuff?  let me know if this is too off topic and boring.  These pictures are from my phone so its easy to add them.

made the adjusters for the four link

added the door bars

started adding the strut bars and the mounts for them, Im hoping to accomplish a lot over the three day weekend.

tomslik

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

sirstude

Keep them coming, really neat.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

kb426

This place doesn't have "off topic" projects. Great start to a good project. What are you doing for the engine?
TEAM SMART

Glen

BBC and probably twin turbo, I want to be able to sneak out on the streets every once in a while...... If I run twin turbos the valve train and compression wont be as radical as the typical "all motor" setup.

chimp koose

I like to look at projects in the works more than finished cars.I get more ideas this way than looking at completed stuff. I have a real interest in chassis . My friend and I are running his car that has an 8.50 cert. We will likely be able to find a mid 8 tune this summer and will either retire the car or build another chassis for it. please keep posting.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Glen"Am I boring you guys with this stuff?

Are you kidding?

Your craftsmanship, ambition, abilities, projects and your workshop have always impressed me!

Please keep us up-to-date with your progress!

I will especially enjoy learning more about your turbo installation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!