For the drag racers

Started by kb426, November 17, 2020, 07:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

just skimmed but wow .Electronically controlled stall speed looks interesting as does softening of the hit on gear changes . I think the small tire classes are where the guys get in serious trouble on the shift . That tech may just reduce crashes . Have you noticed that over the last couple years and even before covid that NHRA has had professional classes not filled at national events . I have watched a few broadcasts where fuel funny car fields had gaps . Some of the rules currently in place were put there to reduce costs ...in the 80's!  Things like no active computer controls were put in so nobody had to buy an expensive computer to remain competitive .The air powered timers used now have got to be way more expensive . I think if they allowed a computer to control the clutch as was done in the mid 80's , allowed  ANY gear ratio in the diff as the 3.20 rule was done to keep cars UNDER 300mph and possibly limited the number of spare engines/blowers allowed after qualifying you might see more variety in the field . The RPM those engines have to turn to get those speeds is staggering and leads to carnage / expense that may be keeping some teams away. Turning down the wick so to speak engine wise and loosening up the clutch and gear rules may open the fuel ranks up to more varied participants . Just an opinion .

idrivejunk

:lol:

You got a click out of me by having v6 in the link. :-o

I recognizs that orange Chevelle and dude though, from the magazine era. :wink:

Gobbledygook from there on ii, to me. :)
Matt