Back from the dead story!

Started by kb426, July 29, 2018, 01:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I may have mentioned this car before. It belonged to one of friends back in the 60's. It was sold and ended up in California. My friends son found the car on the internet and went to Cali in about 2012 and purchased it. This is the end of the story. :)

My friend asked me to do the update on this. I'm honored to do so. :) The car was at Salina this weekend. He has put in serious hours to finish it so the rest of the world could see it. The tow truck in the pics is the one he restored that was owned by his father's best friend. He has driven the car about 1 mile at this point. The pics show the update on the interior. There was nothing left of the original interior to go from. None of us have a good enough memory to be capable of restoring to it's original condition. The owner has tried to keep it period correct. I believe this to be the original engine and trans that has been freshened. I for one, am astounded that this car made it to California, wasn't destroyed and has been restored! :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Certainly looks immaculate and I bet its a handful. How bad fast is it? Or was it then.
Matt

UGLY OLDS

Looks NEAT..Is that a "Hillman"    :?:  8)  8)

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Bob, it is. Matt, in 1963 there was a strip listing from the Garden City Gallahads drag strip that showed it in the 14's at 89 mph. I don't know which engine was in the car or if it had a blower by then. Everyone that I know of who could answer the question, has passed away. The engine in the car now is a 327 that was the last engine in the car before it was sold. It was freshened and put in. I don't know if there are plans to race it or not.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

With a background like that, its not just yellow. Its pure retro gold. Congrats to the owner. 8)
Matt