700r4 TV cable adjustment

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, November 16, 2005, 08:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

A fresh 700r4 unit went  out the door a week ago, It was back to us in a few days.

I repaired the 700 tranny last week after it came back as :" Defective" per the customer....  The 3-4 clutches were burned out.  All else looked new.

I suspected a TV cable adjustment problem...... the customer says :" I have done this type of work before, all was OK!"  We demanded a visual inspection after the re- install to warranty the unit.

He brought the truck to us , he had  an attitude too. :shock:

We open the hood and found the adjustment in the photo.

This is a completely MIS ADJUSTED Tv cable for a 700r4 tranny.  There can be NO SLACK in the cable with the throttle at the closed position :shock:

OK , I will step off the soap box....  :lol:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Glen

That looks closer to a TH350 adjustment.

enjenjo

The first 700 I ever messed with was blown because the guy who installed it "knew" that hooking up the TV cable wasn't necessary.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

BFS57

Hello;
I'v been driving the 700r4 I put in my car for almost 6 months! I don't have 4th gear, I drive it in "3". I know my cable is adjusted properly but I think the trans I got  is in need!
I know that no where did any articles I read have the TV cable adjustment looking like that!!!
Believe me, I have the same kind of problems! We rent technical audio and projection equipment to "experienced" people that claim "It won't work" all the time to find out, the user was the problem!!

Thanks, Bruce

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"The first 700 I ever messed with was blown because the guy who installed it "knew" that hooking up the TV cable wasn't necessary.

I had a customer tell me I was full of sh** a few months back when I said the cable has to be hooked up correctly on the 700 / 4L60 trannys.

the last words out of my mouth was :" I am done here" as i walked away
Tony

speedracer

Hey Crosley I need some help adjusting my linkage on my 700r4.  Its shifting into passing gear way to fast.  Like if I'm in 4th going 50 and I just barely push down on the gas it shift imediatly into passing gear.  Can I adjust that like in you picture?  I'll check mine in the am to see if there's any slack in it.  thanks, johnny

34ford

johnny,

Not trying to steal Croselys answer but read the caption at the top of the picture Crosely posted, it reads
Quote"There can be NO slack in the cable on a 700r4 TV cable when the throttle is closed"

speedracer

yea I saw that and thats what got me wondering.  My tranie's passing gear or overdrive kicks in way to soon.  If I'm in 4th going 45 and barely step on the gas it kicks in instead of at a speed of maybe 60 or so!
Thanks!

slocrow

Johnny; Regardless, I believe that the cable is not the place for an adjustment to the shift points. I think that's the governor's job. Are you sure it's down shifting and not just unlocking the converter? What is the rev jump? ....Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Crosley.In.AZ

THe TV cable must be set at full pull at WOT with correct geometry on the linkage at the carb / EFI.

Sumner's page will help with proper setup:  clik here

IF you have troubles with the OD shift too early.... drive around  in town in the "3" shifter position.

8)
Tony

1FATGMC

The other thing you can look into is that there is a valve that if changed to the one found in the H.O. and vette 700's will delay kickdown from 4th to 3rd until you have over 2/3's throttle.  I have this in mine and really like it as it keeps the transmission from hunting back and forth between 3rd and 4th and keeps it in OD on most hills.

I don't know what it is called (Tony would know), but Summit and others sell it.

I think that is your problem.

c ya, Sum

speedracer

Quote from: "Crosley"THe TV cable must be set at full pull at WOT with correct geometry on the linkage at the carb / EFI.

Sumner's page will help with proper setup:  clik here

IF you have troubles with the OD shift too early.... drive around  in town in the "3" shifter position.

8)
Happy Turkey day!
Well took her back to the speed shop and watched those guys adjust the cable. On the bottom of the cable at the end that passes thru the bracket is a black button!  Ya can't see it because it underneath side of the cable anyway he opened the throttle WOT pushed that button and pulled the slack out of it then release the button and that took the slack out of it and it drives great took maybe 2 minute to fix!  of course no charge!
Learned something new! Again!  Thanks Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "speedracer"Happy Turkey day!
Well took her back to the speed shop and watched those guys adjust the cable. On the bottom of the cable at the end that passes thru the bracket is a black button!  Ya can't see it because it underneath side of the cable anyway he opened the throttle WOT pushed that button and pulled the slack out of it then release the button and that took the slack out of it and it drives great took maybe 2 minute to fix!  of course no charge!

I like simple fixes.

Mis adjusted TV cable and hook up is the number 1 problem with the 700/4L60 tranny in a custom application.

8)
Tony

speedracer

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "speedracer"Happy Turkey day!

I like simple fixes.

Mis adjusted TV cable and hook up is the number 1 problem with the 700/4L60 tranny in a custom application.

8)
Tony my stall speed is 2900rpm with 4;10 gears and most speed limits here around 45, is it reall hard on the trani if I drive around town in 4th it shifts into 4th around 45 or 50 mph, or should I keep it in 3rd its a new 700r4 built by a local shop?

1FATGMC

Quote from: "speedracer"Tony my stall speed is 2900rpm with 4;10 gears and most speed limits here around 45, is it reall hard on the trani if I drive around town in 4th it shifts into 4th around 45 or 50 mph, or should I keep it in 3rd its a new 700r4 built by a local shop?

Are you running a lockup converter and do you have a transmission cooler on it?

c ya, Sum