Coil Spring InStall Questions

Started by mcez_ryd, February 12, 2004, 11:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcez_ryd

What is the best way to instal new coil springs.  I purchased a new spring compressor but by the time we clamped down the springs to where they would fit the bolts stuck out further than the spring base.  So it won't go!  Saturday we plan on trying to place a steelplate down low on the spring and placing a 3/4 inch all thread through it and try to tighen it from there.  any other ideas?   I'm pretty sure I'll have to cut the spring but I won't do that until I see if it really needs it or not.  Oh yeah, I'm using a Fatman Stage II.

Thanks in advance!
Kelly
Mcez_Ryd

The Mouse is in the House!
<Mickey>

If it\'s a fairy Tale World I Live In,  Why do I keep Getting Bills?

nzsimon

you mean the bolts of the spring copresser ? were in the way ?
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

enjenjo

You may have to try a different type of spring compressor. The one I have has a bolt through the middle of the spring, and works on mustang springs.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

mcez_ryd

The compressor I have has the 2 flanges  and bolts on the outside.  Saturday I plan on try to use a piece of 3/4" All thread with a steel plate on bottom.  sounds kind of like what you are describing.   I may also check with another auto parts store to see if they have a similar style with the center bolt.  I don't want to take a cance on getting myself hurt and I do understand the injuries that these springs can inflict so safety is a top priority.

Kelly

Quote from: "enjenjo"You may have to try a different type of spring compressor. The one I have has a bolt through the middle of the spring, and works on mustang springs.
Mcez_Ryd

<Mickey>

nzsimon

I have in the past compressed the spring then wrapped an entire seatbelt around the spring to hold it compressed removed the tool and fitted the spring
Thn you can cut the belt off when it is installed bit scary though and you nedd an old set of seatbelts
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

model a vette

There is another style spring compressor. It has two pairs of hooks connected by an all thread rod. Once the spring is compressed and installed the rod is removed and the hooks fished out from the bottom thru the shock absorber hole.
Ed

mcez_ryd

Hey Gang,

Thanks for the help.  Today i tried the all thread with a steel plate on the inside of the spring.  It worked pretty well.  I had to cut a coil off and it still worked fine.  The car is still about 2" higher than I want but I can always change to dropped spindles if i decide to.  Right now the finished side is about 8" off hte ground at the lowest part of the fender.

Thanks again!
Kelly
Mcez_Ryd

<Mickey>

enjenjo

QuoteRight now the finished side is about 8" off hte ground at the lowest part of the fender.

A bit of advise, run it a couple hundred miles before you cut any more off the spring, or change the spindles.  They tend to settle quite a bit in the first couple hundred miles.

1FATGMC

QuoteA bit of advise, run it a couple hundred miles before you cut any more off the spring, or change the spindles.  They tend to settle quite a bit in the first couple hundred miles.

Quite true  , I ended up having to go back and put some spacers under my springs to raise the vehicle about 1/2 to 3/4 inch.

c ya, Sum

SKR8PN

Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteRight now the finished side is about 8" off hte ground at the lowest part of the fender.

A bit of advise, run it a couple hundred miles before you cut any more off the spring, or change the spindles.  They tend to settle quite a bit in the first couple hundred miles.

I was going to type the SAME thing.............
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

jusjunk

Quote from: "SKR8PN"
Quote from: "enjenjo"

I was going to type the SAME thing.............
My 34 got lower every year.. looked good though :) Just couldnt get the jack under it.. Hell I cant get a jack under the 32...:)
Dave
ps; whats this #### all i did was type 7734

enjenjo

Quoteps; whats this #### all i did was type 7734

Apparently we have an active net nanny.