$200 HF Tig Welder

Started by Mac, December 15, 2007, 09:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91811

OK, it's not a Miller. Rated at 130A DC with a 35% duty cycle. No pedal control seems to come with it.

But does it look like it might be useful for maybe light work? Can a pedal control be retrofitted, or is that feature not really that critical?

Does anybody already own one?  :-o
Who\'s yer Data?

kb426

That appears to be dc only. No ac, no welding alum. The amp control is very necessary if you are just learning.
TEAM SMART

1FATGMC

I looked at that welder a year or so ago and got a store to print out the instructions for it (they can do this off their computer).  

It is DC only, so no aluminum welding (one of the main reasons I wanted one).  They also don't say if the DC is negative or positive, but I would think negative, which is what you want for most welding on steel.  The spec sheet says .024 to .118 with the tig and .024 to .197 with the arc.  Remember most welders are somewhat optimistic on the max. thickness they can weld and this is usually a butt joint so with the tig everything is going to have to be under 1/8 inch and I would think more like 1/16 is realistic.

You will also need an argon bottle and I've found that you use more gas with the tig than the mig.  Actually someone pointed this out to me and I'm glad since I got a lot larger bottle.  So figure bottle and regulator cost.  My welder came with the regulator and the bottle was about $300 (I own it).

Yes the foot pedal is a good deal.  You will find that you set the amperage a little hotter than what the weld takes.  You floor the pedal to get the puddle started and then as the weld progresses you back off the pedal to reduce the amperage.  This is really nice as you have complete control over the heat during the welding process.

I finally decided that if I wanted tig I was going to have to pay for it and got the lincoln in the picture.  My mig is a miller and it was not easy to order the lincoln, but I'm really glad that I did.  It is a 1/2 generation past the current Miller that competes with it.  Due to improved electronics it has a higher output amps than the Lincoln but will run on a lower input 220 amps off my service.  That was important as I have my shop wired with 220 50 amp outlets everywhere and the Miller needs 65 amps to run it wide open.

These new "square wave" tigs are super easy to weld with.  I can't gas weld worth a darn and put the tig off because of that.  Don't let that put you off.  You have so much better control of the heat/puddle that it is easy to weld with the tig.  I was even able to stick some aluminum together right away.  I need work there to make my aluminum welds look better.

I made the cart with the welder to make me practice even though it would have been faster with the tig.    

I've been welding all of the components of the race car with the tig now and just love it.  I still do most of the main frame members with the mig, but I'm leaving some to do later with the tig.  I have a friend that has an older Miller Tig, a big one that probably cost over $3000 new.  He tried my lincoln and loved it over his older tig.  His control doing aluminum is just so much better with this newer welder.

So how much does it cost to get into one of these.  Mine was $1750 to the door.  I ordered another $100-$150 in consumables since I'm not near a welding supply and like to have things on hand.  And as I mentioned another $300 on the bottle.  Not cheap, but I sure don't regret spending the money.  I can weld stuff that I wouldn't of with the mig and it is stronger and better looking.  I still love the mig and use it every day.

Ok here is where I got my Lincoln Precission Tig 225 and consumables:

https://weldingsupply.securesites.com/cgi-bin/browsecatalogs.pl

The welder page:

https://weldingsupply.securesites.com/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?Next::1:UNDEF168247:OR:terms::PU02

IHere is a link to it on the lincoln site:

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.aspx?p=39582

........... and a comparison to the Miller:

http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e3372.pd

c ya,

Sum

moose

As everyone said the HF Tig leaves a lot to be desired. However I caught it on sale and with a 20% off coupon I picked up one for $ 150. It is straight DC and scratch start. It will weld thisner than 1/8 cranked up. I have used it to weld 1/4 plate and got decent penetration. It does not have a provision to mount a foot control but I plan to make my own. All the consumables are available at my local weld shop. It interchanges with a Weldcraft PA-9 torch. I got it as I said for cheap to play with tig. It has is limitations but for the money and chinese junk it work well. Eventually I will buy a good machine so I do not have to travel to access my buddys Lincoln but til then....

Tim

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"interesting comments.... I need another tig (I think).  I sold the old Linde machine I had.

8)

Hey good seeing you the other day and thanks.  I did forget one thing while I was there.  I was interested in seeing how/what you did to setup a water cooled torch.  Seems like I remember something about you taking the fishes pump away from them or something and using that  8) .

How about a short tech on what you did,

Sum

river1

Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "river1"http://www.thefabricator.com/ArcWelding/ArcWelding_Article.cfm?ID=1275

article on converting to a water cooled torch

later jim

Thanks Jim, it was great seeing you also,

Sum

donsrods

One thing is for sure when buying any tool.......before long you will wish you had bought the bigger version.  I bet every one of us has tools in their shops that we no longer use because we upgraded.

However, we all also have budgets to work within, some are bigger than others, but they dictate how much we can spend to buy things like welders, air compressors, etc.  I remember when I bought my first torch setup, then I had to wait another year to afford the tanks.  When you are raising a family things like food and rent seem to come first.  :D

The point is, any tool like a welder is better than no welder at all.  You just have to understand it's limitations.  You will not be able to do GOOD welds on something like frames with a $ 200 welder, but you can use it to do thinner, less structural parts.  Just today we went to HF to get some clamps on sale, and we commented that while their $ 249 horizontal/ vertical bandsaw isn't up to industrial use, it sure would be better for someone to have than none at all.  You could use it for a million things and could beef up the base to be a little stronger.

Then, as your finances and responsibilities change, you can move up to bigger and more expensive equipment.

Don

1FATGMC

Quote from: "donsrods"One thing is for sure when buying any tool.......before long you will wish you had bought the bigger version.  I bet every one of us has tools in their shops that we no longer use because we upgraded.

However, we all also have budgets to work within, some are bigger than others, but they dictate how much we can spend to buy things like welders, air compressors, etc.  I remember when I bought my first torch setup, then I had to wait another year to afford the tanks.  When you are raising a family things like food and rent seem to come first.  :D

The point is, any tool like a welder is better than no welder at all.  You just have to understand it's limitations.  You will not be able to do GOOD welds on something like frames with a $ 200 welder, but you can use it to do thinner, less structural parts.  Just today we went to HF to get some clamps on sale, and we commented that while their $ 249 horizontal/ vertical bandsaw isn't up to industrial use, it sure would be better for someone to have than none at all.  You could use it for a million things and could beef up the base to be a little stronger.

Then, as your finances and responsibilities change, you can move up to bigger and more expensive equipment.

Don

Well Don I agree totally and hope no one thought I was putting the HF tig down because it was cheap or HF.  I have thousands of dollars of HF tools.  My lathe is HF and I got my mill on sale at ENCO, but it is the same one HF sells.  When it comes to a welder though it would be hard for me to move away from Miller or Lincoln.  I'm 63 and believe me I've had to add tools my whole life.  I like you started with a craftsman gas torch since it would weld and cut and was a very major investment.  Later I added a 220 volt arc welder (AC only) that I bought used from a school district for $75.

If I didn't have a welder though I wouldn't put $200 into that tig and then more into a bottle.  I would put that money towards a mig even if I had to start with flux core wire with it.  If I had a mig and wanted to see what tig could be like then maybe, but only knowing its limitations.

c ya,

Sum

P.S. I have one of those band saws and use it all the time.  With a good blade it isn't bad, just slow and I didn't even do anything with the legs  :wink: .

moose

Sum,
I totally agree. If the HF TIG were the only welder I had I would have saved for a Good one. I already had thd the Argon bottle and reg. I would only advise someone to consider one as a cheap way to try out TIG or as a second welder. I do not know what the longevity will be but for what I have invested it lets me practice the techniques at home.

Weld on

Tim

donsrods

No one thought you were putting them down.  HF is what it is, a source of some inexpensive tools, some of which are not too bad and some that are not so good.  You just have to pick and choose from their inventory.

While we were there yesterday I bought a second air saw so that we have a backup, it was on sale for $ 14.99, I also bought a gravity feed touch up gun for $ 8.99.  Dan bought a couple more air angle grinders so we don't keep having to switch accessories around on them.  We can have a wire brush on one, a roloc on another, etc.  They aren't the quality of some of the more expensive brands, but they are fine for our hobby level stuff.

Even when I worked at the Marina the techs there were SnapOn truck junkies and had things like $ 20,000 rollaway tool chests, but they would also go to HF and buy some things because they were a good value and they didn't mind beating them up on a daily basis.

I just wish they would stop sending me those tempting sale flyers in the mail.  :D  :D  :D

Don

UGLY OLDS

Speaking of HF....Anybody ever try one of these???

6" x 48" BELT AND 9" DISC COMBINATION SANDER  

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=6852
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Mac

Thanks everybody for all the replies. Especially Sum's very detailed post.

Limited to 1/8" max and no aluminum I'd have little use for this HF Tig machine.

My first welding was oxy/ace and I developed a fair hand at it. I added a Lincoln AC/DC arc welder and I also have a Century 120v 130 (flux or gas) which is working real well since I got some Harris "Twenty Gauge" to run through it.

$1800 plus is not in the budget for a real tig. Maybe the next welding tool will be a Henrob or Mecco Midget torch. I already have 2 stage regs on my gas rig.
Who\'s yer Data?

donsrods

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Speaking of HF....Anybody ever try one of these???

I just looked at that same belt sander yesterday when we were there.  It really doesn't look too bad.  The secret would be to replace the HF sanding belt with a Norton or 3M, HF sanding stuff is terrible.  I have bought some in a jam and it lasts like 5 minutes.

I think I would buy one of those belt sanders for sure.  For $ 200 you couldn't go wrong.

Don

sirstude

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Speaking of HF....Anybody ever try one of these???

I have had one for several years now.  Works just fine, don't know how I went so many years without one.  I agree on the belts, but seems like the only time I remember that I am out is on my yearly visit to HF.  The nearest used to be in Orange, Ca.  Now one in Provo, 400 miles or so away and one in Billings 240 miles away.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us