Fender Welting Installation

Started by btrc, February 15, 2004, 02:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btrc

I'm just beginning final assembly on my '37 Ford and have a question on installing the welting.  Should I use some type of adhesive like weather-strip adhesive or something between the bolt holes?

Bob
Bob

purplepickup

I don't think you'd want to put adhesive on it.  When I put welting on, I take my time and cut the bolt holes a little large so I have the ability to adjust it as I'm bolting things up.   I put all the bolts in and leave them a little loose then pull or push the welting into place as I tighten the bolts.  The first time is always the worst.  After it's been on a while it takes a set and fall into place the next time.

I have an upholstery shop make my welting using real flexible vinyl.  I like the way it fits into the tight spots better than most of the stuff I've seen for sale.  I always have them make it with a fairly large flap behind the cording.  That gives me something to pull on when I'm installing it.  I just trim off the extra when I'm done.
George

Kctom

I've done a couple and did not use any.
Tom

In the past I have installed mine dry as well but a while back I was at a shop where the guy used a light coat of silicone,after cutting it to fit,he attached it to the fenders and let the silicone set up over night.He then installs them the next morning and says it works well and everything lines up perfectly....he is a one man shop so his way eliminates the need for a second set of hands.He says it comes off easily if an adjustment is needed.....I think I will try it when I re-assemble the 36....Good Luck!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

jimmerc

Quote from: "40"In the past I have installed mine dry as well but a while back I was at a shop where the guy used a light coat of silicone,after cutting it to fit,he attached it to the fenders and let the silicone set up over night.He then installs them the next morning and says it works well and everything lines up perfectly....he is a one man shop so his way eliminates the need for a second set of hands.He says it comes off easily if an adjustment is needed.....I think I will try it when I re-assemble the 36....Good Luck!

jimmerc

I just installed  rear fenders with new welting on my Fordy coupe. Keep welting dry. If that silicone your  using is glue, it might pull the paint off when you remove the fenders again.

jusjunk

When i built my 34 i didnt use any welting. If youve got a good fit you dont need it and i think it looks better without it. The new paints dont chip like the old laquers so you really dont need it.
Dave

btrc

I'm not sure my fit is all that great.  I was always planning on welting so I didn't put a lot of effort into this part of it. Think I'll try it dry and then if it doesn't work out I can put something on it.
Bob

Charlie Chops 1940

I do mine the same as George does. The last couple cars have been with Juliano's welting which I consider to be the best stuff out there.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

flt-blk

This may be a stupid question, but what is the purpose of welting.  Is it to help seal the gap or hide a poor factory fit?
TZ
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang