Vibration problem

Started by enjenjo, October 26, 2021, 05:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I have a vibration problem on my 2012 HHR. It's in the front end, you can feel it through the steering wheel. A little history.

This started about a year ago.  It started at about 55 mph, and went away about 62 mph. I had the tires rotated, no change. Tires rebalanced, twice, by two different shops, no change. My shop diagnosed two wheels bent. I replaced them with new wheels. No change. I replaced rotors and pads, checked wheel bearings and CV shafts, no change. I replaced all four tires with new ones. Now it is somewhat better but still vibrates from about 57 mph to 60 mph.

Any ideas? This is driving me nuts.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

Maybe your caster is different from side to side and/or there is slight play in a tie rod ? Sure is a narrow speed range for a vibration but new tires and rims has removed some of it . is there maybe some radial runout on the rims or tires

kb426

1st thought: kick it into neutral and see if the vibration changes. If that does nothing, 2nd thought: check all the engine and trans mounts. Look for cracked steel going to the mounting locations. 3rd thought: check cv joints. 4th thought: trade vehicles. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Round tires are tough to find.

Got greaseable tie rod ends?

Your rack could be miled out.

CVs shake on acceleration.

Worn eng / trans mounts can make the CV joints ride in a different spot.

Do a toe setting experiment?

Slot struts , do a camber experiment.

Have somebody turn the wheels while you watch the strut mount on top.

It is FWD, right?  :roll: :lol: Says bodyman.
Matt

enjenjo

Quote from: kb426 on October 26, 2021, 07:20:41 PM
1st thought: kick it into neutral and see if the vibration changes. If that does nothing, 2nd thought: check all the engine and trans mounts. Look for cracked steel going to the mounting locations. 3rd thought: check cv joints. 4th thought: trade vehicles. :)

No. It is the same vibration coasting, in neutral, or accelerating. I can drive through it to 65mph, and it no longer vibrates. If I drop to 55mph it stops vibrating.

This car has electric power steering if that makes any difference

chimp koose

If it happens in neutral, coasting and accelerating I would think it has to do with tires/rims/suspension in some way or maybe a slightly bent axle if it is FWD ?

58 Yeoman

Back in the late 90's, I bought an old beater 86 Cutlass and replaced the rack. Had a shake after that, and people told me the new rebuilt was the cause. It was too much trouble for an old beater to replace it again.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

50 F1

If it was a three axle semi I would say get a axle alignment

Arnold

I've had vibrations..and some noises..that were eventually traced to excessive play in the front diff itself(fwd). 2 of these had WAAY too much play when the vehicle was in park and rocked back and forth'

jaybee

Suspension bushings tight? Some FWD vehicles are very sensitive to everything being just right.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

I have it scheduled for an alignment and service next week. Lets hope they find something.