trapped with stinkers

Started by idrivejunk, August 25, 2020, 09:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

How have you men successfully "handled" coworkers with sickeningly intense body odor? I have spent too many years of career next to individuals like that. In this case I like the person and need them around. They say they can't wear deodorant and show up on Mondays with putrid crotch funk that curls your nose hair plus pit stench that would peel wallpaper. Obviously not bathed daily. Sit down tub bath maybe as often as twice a week near as I can tell. And NO one else seems to be offended by it. Its a problem for me, makes me want to vomit. I am supposed to coach this person and have to go stand a few feet from them daily. I have only known one other individual who could gag a maggot from across the shop and like now, enough years of it have me ready to draw a line in the sand. But distancing is not enough. Walking into the bathroom to wash up minutes after this person is like sticking your head in his armpit.

Am I the problem? Often, men or women pass through that are so heavily perfumed that I feel a need for fresh air after all they did was pass through the room, yards away.

The horrible smell * me off daily. I need a solution nobody can do anything to counter. Direct talk doesn't change anything. I have not resorted to shaming but maybe I should let some mean out and make a scene so everyone hears it.

Do I tell the boss its him or me gots to go? Do I smash the guys feelings to bits disgracing him publicly? Finance a shower stall for his home? It seriously makes me want to puke daily and swallowing that plus the urge to let him know it makes me angry and that is something no one should have to just live with. So if you have dealt with one successfully, please tell me what worked. Its a silly reason to quit but a serious problem to me.

Sorry about the crummy topic. I need strength to change what I can no longer accept so I turn to the best most tactful life advisors I know. RRT dudes. There has to be something I haven't thought of. :?
Matt

kb426

I'm sympathetic with no answer. I've had the same exp. through out the years. Some smells you get used to, some you don't. I remember a faint memory of someone putting something under their nose that had a strong smell that overcame the odor.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

Vics vaporub under the nose will mask the smell . I have spent many years working under a vehicle hoist with teen aged boys . Many did not own a change of clothes or have access to a shower or laundry facilities other than what was at our school. Homeless , or very low income was usually the root cause .  You could also try a strong mint in your mouth and mouth breathe if it helps .(with a covid mask the mint would work well ) Sometimes when you know the real cause of the smell it makes it somehow easier to tolerate . In my case it was not a lack of regard for others but rather someone doing the best they could with what they had . The fact these boys were coming to school to better themselves rather than joining a gang made it easier to tolerate . We would usually have a school counselor have a chat with them , first to find out how their living conditions were and then to form a plan of how to remedy the smell . One of these boys I remember well , 20 years ago his odor would nearly gag you , today he is a journeyman heavy duty mechanic with a wife and kids . We have a good chat each time we meet and he smells like a rose . :)

WZ JUNK

A year ago my brother and I were cleaning out our deceased uncles home to prepare for a sale.  The smell was really bad.  We tried some Ben Gay product just under our nose and this helped.  As a side note, the people we run with these day smell like Ben Gay.  I wonder if they are trying to tell me something?
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

idrivejunk

I came to apologize again for making such a post but you guys are the best, man. Sometimes I can't hold things in like I should. I would retaliate but find myself underarmed, not able to generate such funk and therefore outgunned. Unfortunate is what it is. While we're here with the Vapo Rub out... Paw swears by it for jock itch. He has a few years on most of you boys. :wink:

CK, bath days are fine and I get you and thats all that makes me hush. I don't say a peep.

:roll:  :arrow:

Obliged, gents. Sage wisdom as always. 8)
Matt

phat46

It may be that others notice too, but, like you, don't want to bring it up. If it was me I would have to take the guy aside and tell him frankly. Let him know it's not healthy and will affect him in many areas of his life and job. It may cause him missed opportunities. If he has a tub there is no reason to not have regular bathing. Also you might want to check into different deodorants for him, thereare many for people that "can't wear deodorant".

57larry

go to HR and let them handle the problem, good luck

idrivejunk

Oh I've left a firey profane voicemail for corporate HQ, believe me. :evil:

Not.  :roll:  Joke. :)

Have had frank conversations in years past, and with boss. Been blunt, played the concerned for welfare card, pounded the hygiene pulpit, offered donations... and I'm tellin ya. Intervention is un-called-for. My presence is the only variable I control.

The new last and this week's shirt is button down with sleeves ripped off. All day, odor in my stall even with favorable breeze and you know what else? Twice this afternoon came to my stall to tell stuff standing between me and fan. Normally does a full body stretch once acknowledged too but my funny looks seem to have made him aware nobody wants to see that. Zero clue. Disbarfgusting. I musta looked like I had been peeling onions when he gave me the heads up on about to spray epoxy spots. I was like yes, yes bring on the epoxy get to it now. Internal gut broiling. :cry:
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

Been there a few times.  Back to the 1980's...

most recent was about 5 yrs ago.  Kid was early 20's..  He reeked. Pimples all over his face in full bloom. Filthy clothes every day. the kid had a white dog.. guess what was all over his clothes every day?  White fur. Wrinkled up shirts that stunk.  Stunk BAD!  Pants that did not fit him (loose).. Zippers would not stay up.

Supervisor type guy in the dept started on the face and pimples.  The supervisor  would ask the kid in front of us olde guys;

Wash yer face? Yes..  No you didn't. Your face is all oily, pimples are full bloom. Wash your face and use soap. Wash your butthole too!

A few days later you would hear; Did you take a shower last night?  yes... No you didn't...  you reek.   Can you guys over there smell XXXX?  We would answer yes, he stinks.... because he did.

I am serious.  All this happened and much more. There was even a meeting with the General Manager and the kid about his hygiene.

the kid cleaned up his act.  Took over 1 year though. he just turned 27 yr olde two weeks ago
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

If I may be excused for doing so, allow me to share this brief pertinent message from an experienced source we are all familiar with:

WARNING:  Mild profanity in video. :shock: If in violation of family guidelines, sorry. Delete or throne room it if found offensive.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uldt6Y-CE3s
Matt

Pete

For awhile in the past I was the shop foreman and had to handle things like this.
Not being one to beat around the bush, I told them to clean up or hit the bricks.
Worked for us. Shop health is a valid reason for termination.
If management won't help you then your tool box most likely has handles. Use 'em.

idrivejunk

Therein lies the quandry, Pete. I would rather fight than forfeit. But you are right. The ONLY thing an employee has control over is their presence. Weather is cooling off now. Blunt just has no effect, that was my initial response. Trying to retaliate by counterstinking has had no effect. I suppose I can make a game of being upwind. Like hunting in reverse. :roll:
Matt

Pete

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Therein lies the quandry, Pete. I would rather fight than forfeit. But you are right. The ONLY thing an employee has control over is their presence. Weather is cooling off now. Blunt just has no effect, that was my initial response. Trying to retaliate by counterstinking has had no effect. I suppose I can make a game of being upwind. Like hunting in reverse. :roll:

I guess you can only hope he falls on a fresh mopped floor in the can and hits his head on the sink.