A/C clutch removal

Started by idrivejunk, September 06, 2019, 08:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

99 Pontiac. I plan to replace the A/C hub / pulley / clutch with salvage parts off the 02 I had. I was able to jam a wrench between subframe and a flat on an edge of the clutch to get the party started on the mounted compressor but...

How do I hold the clutch still off the car? On the salvage compressor. So I can remove the nut then use the clutch removal tool.

By the way, the tip of the remover was pretty much obliterated when taking the old unit apart. That seems odd. A great deal of force was required to pull the clutch.
Matt

idrivejunk

Here is a picture. No, channel locks did not work. But this is what I need to do, except off the car.

Matt

enjenjo

I would just use an impact wrench.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Same here. Impact socket won't fit in there. I don't have a half inch drive 13MM other than that, nor a 3/8" impact. I have one 1/4" plain 13mm socket. :roll:
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

as I recall there was a tool with short studs on it.  Engaged into the holes on the front of the clutch to hold it.  

then a tool to pull the clutch plate off...  tool photo posted, I think
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

Quote from: "Crosley"as I recall there was a tool with short studs on it.  Engaged into the holes on the front of the clutch to hold it.  

then a tool to pull the clutch plate off...  tool photo posted, I think

Yep, just like the glass tool I asked about awhile back only larger. I do have the tool pictured, along with the installer tool.

My removal tool is all mushroomed now. Took it to work to grind on but there was no spare minute for that. I did find a 3/8" drive 13mm socket, medium length and of the impact variety in my toolbox at work, have not tried it yet. Grabbed one of those extendable 3/8 hand ratchets that people gift me too. Figure maybe I can swing a 2x4 at that or something. Soon as I can stand to, I'll be back on it trying.
Matt

idrivejunk

Mystery solved  :!:  :idea:  :arrow:

Necessity is the mother of this home. :lol:
Matt