2020 .. What are you doing today?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 01, 2020, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Retirement sounds like being the Cisco Kid.
Matt

kb426

I'm a ute fan. :) Thank you for sharing, Carps. :)
TEAM SMART

lofat46

Some very cool cars. Love that white Ford that looks like a cross of a U.S. Mustang and Torino. I imagine a lot of the older cars from the '30's and '40's were imported from the U.S.  Do the cars have to be converted to right hand drive or can they stay left hand drive?  Is there an Aussie aftermarket to make these conversions? Just curious.

58 Yeoman

I really like the light colored 54 Ford Ute. The bare metal Ford...when I was a kid delivering newspapers, one of my customers did tht with his 55/56 Ford PU and never painted it. It turned a real nice shade of rusty.

So...everyone keeps saying that down under, the water in the drains swirls in a different direction, you drive on the wrong side of the road, your seasons are backwards, and now I see that you 'drive' your steam engines backwards also. Is all this true? :shock:  :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

UGLY OLDS

Neat Photos Carps ...Thank You .... );b(

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

Nifty photos you posted Carps.  Thanks.

Wednesday... another day at the grind.   ~:)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Carps

Quote from: "lofat46"Some very cool cars. Love that white Ford that looks like a cross of a U.S. Mustang and Torino. I imagine a lot of the older cars from the '30's and '40's were imported from the U.S.  Do the cars have to be converted to right hand drive or can they stay left hand drive?  Is there an Aussie aftermarket to make these conversions? Just curious.
The white coupe is a Ford Falcon, the styling cues are more Torino than Mustang.  

Most of the 30's and 40s cars arrived here as a RHD rolling chassis from Canada and the bodies were made locally.  Some are very much like the US models like the 35/6 touring sedans.  Although the one subtle difference is the swage line on US models kids up where it goes around the corner of the D pillar and over the trundled.  The Aussie one just goes straight around.

by the fifties we pressed most of the panels here, but the cars were still unique because our volume dictated the need to carry a model for longer than the US.  This our '56 and 8 Fords are a variation of the US 55/6 models.  

Ford Australia started making bodies towards the end of Model T.  Before that bodies were made by a number of coachbuilders and no two were exactly the same.

The Model 40 is probably the most unique of the Aussie early Ford bodies as it was made using a number of carry over parts from 1932.  For example my sedan has '32 rear doors and the entire rear section of the roof is '32 sedan.  The front doors are therefore totally unique to Australia and beacause the rear doors are short the body sits atop the chassis like a '32 and there's a spare (unique) spear shaped panel that fills the gap between the lower body and running boards.

Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Carps

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"So...everyone keeps saying that down under, the water in the drains swirls in a different direction, you drive on the wrong side of the road, your seasons are backwards, and now I see that you 'drive' your steam engines backwards also. Is all this true? :shock:  :lol:
depends which way you look at it.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

lofat46

Quote from: "Carps"
Quote from: "lofat46"Some very cool cars. Love that white Ford that looks like a cross of a U.S. Mustang and Torino. I imagine a lot of the older cars from the '30's and '40's were imported from the U.S.  Do the cars have to be converted to right hand drive or can they stay left hand drive?  Is there an Aussie aftermarket to make these conversions? Just curious.
The white coupe is a Ford Falcon, the styling cues are more Torino than Mustang.  

Most of the 30's and 40s cars arrived here as a RHD rolling chassis from Canada and the bodies were made locally.  Some are very much like the US models like the 35/6 touring sedans.  Although the one subtle difference is the swage line on US models kids up where it goes around the corner of the D pillar and over the trundled.  The Aussie one just goes straight around.

by the fifties we pressed most of the panels here, but the cars were still unique because our volume dictated the need to carry a model for longer than the US.  This our '56 and 8 Fords are a variation of the US 55/6 models.  

Ford Australia started making bodies towards the end of Model T.  Before that bodies were made by a number of coachbuilders and no two were exactly the same.

The Model 40 is probably the most unique of the Aussie early Ford bodies as it was made using a number of carry over parts from 1932.  For example my sedan has '32 rear doors and the entire rear section of the roof is '32 sedan.  The front doors are therefore totally unique to Australia and beacause the rear doors are short the body sits atop the chassis like a '32 and there's a spare (unique) spear shaped panel that fills the gap between the lower body and running boards.

Thank you very much for that explanation.

enjenjo

Yesterday I had to move a bunch of stuff in my back building to get an engine out that was sold. One of the boxes we had to move appeared to be full of rags, and they were in pretty bad shape. So I decided to throw them in the dumpster. Just to be sure, I sorted though it as I was dumping them, and at the bottom I found a spindle I have not been able to find for years now. So  now I can get back to that project.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Phone croaked today while making a post. No idea when I'll get another. That will break the longstanding unbroken workdaily pic stream from me.

:D  or  :cry:  whichever suits you.  :)
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"Yesterday I had to move a bunch of stuff in my back building to get an engine out that was sold. One of the boxes we had to move appeared to be full of rags, and they were in pretty bad shape. So I decided to throw them in the dumpster. Just to be sure, I sorted though it as I was dumping them, and at the bottom I found a spindle I have not been able to find for years now. So  now I can get back to that project.

How is that Buick Wagon with the cruise control failure doing? ... :wink:  ...:wink:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Yesterday I had to move a bunch of stuff in my back building to get an engine out that was sold. One of the boxes we had to move appeared to be full of rags, and they were in pretty bad shape. So I decided to throw them in the dumpster. Just to be sure, I sorted though it as I was dumping them, and at the bottom I found a spindle I have not been able to find for years now. So  now I can get back to that project.

How is that Buick Wagon with the cruise control failure doing? ... :wink:  ...:wink:

My grandson asks the same thing. He is bugging me to let him finish it. If he wants to, a carburetor and a shifter is all it needs. The only problem is he is hip deep in two projects too.

58 Yeoman

Second day for Bathfitters company here replacing our '79 one piece tub/shower. They had to cut out the old fiberglass tub and remove the "soffitt" above it. It was looking kind of dated anyway and had way too many armrests and soap shelves, making it seem so much smaller. I installed a one piece in the house I had built in '74 at another house, and these don't come out or go in in one piece after the house is finished.

My wife didn't know that you couldn't soak the glue residue from anti-slip stick ons with acetone soaked paper towels. The good part is that I don't have to do it, the bad part is the cost. :shock:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Quote from: "idrivejunk"
Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteAnyone have experience with buying an aftermarket chassis and finding it to have been welded up crooked?

Yup, more than once.

Any point in contacting the maker?

It depends on how bad it is, and if it really makes a difference.