Brake banjo bolts.................

Started by jusjunk, March 16, 2004, 07:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jusjunk

got one bolt that wont seal . Tried working the copper washer over a little and it still wont seal. the sealing area looks good.. Anyone got an idea. I hate to tighten it any more its pretty tight now..
Dave :roll:

Bruce Dorsi

Dave, any chance the threaded portion is bottoming out before the seal washers are compressed enough?  

I've seen some banjo fittings on hose ends with oversize holes.  (Wrong hose?)  ...These make it interesting when trying to make a good seal.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

jusjunk

Ill check that but dont think its bottoming out. Got the right ends bolts and washers. One side seals good the other dont. Ill probably stop tomorrow and buy some new copper washers but the ones i used were new. I cant find the ones i had from speedway and i think they were aluminum. Id try em if i could find em..

enjenjo

Check to see if the bolt is bottoming out. I have had that problem in the past. The parts store here has some thicker copper washers that fixed it up.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

mrloboy

Install the banjo bolt in the caliper without the hose and snug it up. Measure the space between the head of the bolt and the sealing surface on the caliper. Check the measurement against the hose end, including the copper washers to determine if the bolt will allow adequate crush on the washers to obtain a proper seal. If not, the threaded ends of the Banjo Bolt will need to be machined off or thicker crush washers will need to be used.  rj

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "mrloboy"Install the banjo bolt in the caliper without the hose and snug it up. Measure the space between the head of the bolt and the sealing surface on the caliper. Check the measurement against the hose end, including the copper washers to determine if the bolt will allow adequate crush on the washers to obtain a proper seal. If not, the threaded ends of the Banjo Bolt will need to be machined off or thicker crush washers will need to be used.  rj

Might try heating the copper washers till red that will aneal can cool fast it water if you like  and they may seal while soft.  If the measuring suggestion checks out. Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

flt-blk

You are using one washer on top and one on bottom, right??
TZ
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

SKR8PN

If the bolt is bottoming out,before the washer seal,I have noticed that some copper washers are a little bit thicker than others,to prevent that from happening. Might want to look into that...
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

jusjunk

Heres what I did.. Stopped and bought new copper washers. Took the old washer for the bottom that leaked and heated it cherry red and let it cool. Cleaned it with a scotch brite pad put it back together cranked it down got my trusty piece of aluminum round stock about 3 inches long and a hammer. BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM Hit that sob and cranked it some more> then BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM one more time , cranked it down again. Doesnt look like it leaks now. I think its seated and sealed....
Dave :shock:
ps: I really didnt hit the bolt that hard ,just enuff to seat the washer

enjenjo

Ahhhh..........Percussion machining, works every time. :roll:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.