Street Rod Electrical grounding

Started by 348tripower, December 04, 2005, 08:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

What is everybodys recomendations on grounding the system. I am having some issues after one summer of driving. Low light output from headlights. Irregular gas gauge reading. VDO electric speedometer  unstable. Maybe I need a better ground from the frame to the body?  Heavier? Lets hear your comments.
Thanks,
Don
Don Colliau

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "348tripower"What is everybodys recomendations on grounding the system. I am having some issues after one summer of driving. Low light output from headlights. Irregular gas gauge reading. VDO electric speedometer  unstable. Maybe I need a better ground from the frame to the body?  Heavier? Lets hear your comments.
Thanks,
Don

Seems like grounds are always a problem.  One of my first post on the RRT was a similar question.  Skip told me I needed a better ground and what I call a 3 way.  Body to frame. Engine to frame and engine to body.  I am sure you know how to make good connections and how important that is.  I would add some temporary grounds and see how that changes your problems.  If the problems stop, then add new or better grounds.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

richard 36dodge

After you get the good grounds. You need to look at how many amps are going through your ingition switch, 60 amps max. I would have some very low volt reading with the A/C on. I checked the Alternator and I was getting 14.5 volts.  
Put all the high draw items on relays, like A/C, MSD ,radio and amp, and don't forget the headlights.  
There are some good articles on www.madelectrical.com look under electrical tech.  They also don't like one wire alternators and I agree.
I hope this helps.
Rick Harris.

MO_JUNK

I use the round ground panel marketed by Haywire- other similar panels will work. I use a 10 ga. (or heavier) wire from the point near the starter where the (-) battery cable attaches to the engine, to ground the panel. I mount this master ground terminal somewhere up in the cowl behind the dash. Then everything i.e. light, gauge, switch, etc. grounds off that panel. I treat every vehicle as if the body were fiberglass. I've never had a problem with this set up. Sam

blksheep

What WZJunk said bout a three way is exactly what I did.  I used 3, 14" Taylor ground straps that I got from Summit Racing. PN# tay-148014, $4.99 ea.. Of course, make sure the connections are clean and tight. I connected the starter bolt to the frame idler arm bolt, firewall body bolt  to a rear head bolt and back at the trunk mounted battery, I bolted one from the negative battery post, that goes through the body,  to the frame. Overkill? Maybe. But, I can find a good ground any where in the car.

blksheep...tightly connected...in Charlotte

348tripower

Quote from: "blksheep"What WZJunk said bout a three way is exactly what I did.  I used 3, 14" Taylor ground straps that I got from Summit Racing. PN# tay-148014, $4.99 ea.. Of course, make sure the connections are clean and tight. I connected the starter bolt to the frame idler arm bolt, firewall body bolt  to a rear head bolt and back at the trunk mounted battery, I bolted one from the negative battery post, that goes through the body,  to the frame. Overkill? Maybe. But, I can find a good ground any where in the car.

blksheep...tightly connected...in Charlotte

That seems to be the direction I am going to go. Too much is better than not enough.
Don
Don Colliau

Leon

Coat your connections with something to prevent corrosion otherwise those grounds become useless over time.  I use a Dielectric Grease that is available at places that sell wiring supplies.  I get mine at Waytek Wire.