Dare to build this!

Started by idrivejunk, April 19, 2020, 01:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Last weekend I had an inclination to draw. But what? As always. :roll:

Scribbled up a rod with minimal curves, just thinking of an easy to build and proportionally adjustable, nonrepresentational, cab. Kinda had a hook shape in mind for some places. Anyhow, got bored and tossed it aside-

Today I ironed out a side view a little more. Figure a guy could make those side panels mainly with a brake and roller since its all just flat and angles and could plug weld together as like five piece unisides. Connected by flat middle panels at whatever width he wants want the body.

Just a brain fart to polarize the collective  :lol:
Matt

chimp koose

I LIKE it ! Looks like you could use something like jeep front fenders . Back of cab has an early 60s truckish shape . Might consider using a slightly curved front window out over the cowl to reduce wind noise and reduce CD . That might spoil the look you have going there though . Work it ,throw some wheels into a rendering .

kb426

TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"Keep going.

Thats probably good advice, in an "OK people, lets move along!" context like when people walk into my stall.  :)  :arrow:  :-}
Matt

jaybee

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

chimp koose

To me , the vent windows make the cab ! Not sure why cause its the first thing you delete when doing a custom , but I think it gives it the old time look right out of the gate.

idrivejunk

I wouldn't take vent windows away from anything, I like them. And musclecar door handles!

I started to make a paper cab. First thing friend Mike said is he has seen it done with wood (flat panels) and told me it looks great on paper but awful in person. I asked if the side was straight up and down and the answer was yes. No comparison there. Other forum ignored it completely which I take as negative feedback. Guys who "like" every post I make did not like. But my main thought with the cab aside from ease of fabrication was driver comfort / room / visibility.

The door would be the hardest part to make but would not have to be traditionally constructed. Tradition is not for me but I have plenty of respect for it. And let's face it... even drawing up a front end would be an exercise in futility. No reason to keep going. But I was bored and liked the lines enough to post it.
Matt

enjenjo

I have been thinking about this, and I see basing the cab on Austin Mini doors and quarters, reskined in a more angular shape.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have been thinking about this, and I see basing the cab on Austin Mini doors and quarters, reskined in a more angular shape.
Or '40s or 50s truck doors. The way you put pieces together for that Model A I'd think you could decide what size window you wanted and cut the door frame and put it together around the size of the size of the glass and skin it the shape you wanted. On that thought, I imagine taking one of those Peterbuilt truck cabs that is riveted together and removing some of the rivets and taking the pieces and riveted back together in a smaller size truck cab.Too much time to wonder, GPster

chimp koose

I have made small fiberglass parts by covering a wire structure with packing tape as the fiberglass will not stick to it . You could make a 1:4 scale model for giggles if you were really bored .

idrivejunk

This is enough push to keep the drawing from coasting to a stop :D

It is infinitely adjustable and you guys are free to scribble on it.

I'll noodle n doodle more. The upswept bed rails were an afterthought.

Frank, laid back post but with visor or no?

My original thought was a frameless window with vent wing.

I have thought of doing it in clay. Paper should do, for a model to photograph with correct shadows then edit.

GPster, all flat glass and panels is totally the thing with this thought exercise and absolutely yes, window and everything just get cut to fit driver preferences. Just like curves can be added. I just kinda adapted rod proportions.

It could be coupe, sedan, truck, ranchero-style, delivery, whatever. But if I draw a front end... fair warning guys... I am looking real hard at 69 GP-esque front end style with semi-fat front fenders that end at the back like 40s cars do.

If I could represent five different decades of styling elements and pull it together, that would be something. But its not the objective. There really isn't one but hey, we can design a car here no problemo!
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

enjenjo

I am not a big fan of the rising angle on the B pillar. To me it makes the rear look cut off and kind of clashes with roof line.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Good input! Just scooting stuff around. Heres another  :arrow:

Matt