Nova Camino?

Started by idrivejunk, February 03, 2018, 11:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

I found myself mentioning my ex-ride in a conversation and this idea popped up so I quick and dirtily edited a couple pics to satisfy my curiosity. Hmm. I think these kinda stubby looking "concept" "pickups" have potential. The roof to bed transition would of course be tricky but by not changing proportions on sections I swapped around, I am able to have some idea of the how-to. The Nova roof angle almost works as is but of course you gotta stand the back glass up and tunnel it. The door glass frame is from 68-72 el Camino, and the angles at the roof to bed transition are roughly borrowed from that. The door glass frame would need to be shortened a little on each end, and the movable glass might require trimming at front. Using the upper half of a camino door weatherstrip seems to follow. I did not explore doing it hardtop style. But I thought you might enjoy, or go build one.

I searched the web briefly and found no 68-73 X-body el Camino attempts at all, only older Chevy IIs. How do you think it looks? I mean if you hate el Caminos altogether, I respect that. The lines seem to work out happily from the side. Just an imagination fart.

The white one is from a web pic grab and is a Nova. The one in Mystic Teal (WA-119B) is my old 71 Ventura II Sprint. I put the shaker and GTO hood on it with cheap steelies, then traded it in the deal that got me my current purple car. Then it got the cowl hood, CalTracs, and Torq-Thrust IIs. Its still around. But would it be cool with a bed?

Matt

chimp koose

I would like to see a bit longer roof for the proportions to look just right .

GPster

I'd always thought that  Bodge/Plymouth should have cashed in on the  El Camino or Ranchero idea with a version. I might have thought a little harder about it if some raw material had appeared with-in my reach. I envisioned starting with a mid '60s station wagon and using the same year's/model's 2 dr sedan's doors and "B" pillars as a start for the conversion. I wanted to start with a station wagon as I thought their uni-body structure would be more substantial than a sedan's and that the tail gate's back end structure would be a more substantial roof structure than a sedan's back window. GPster

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chimp koose"I would like to see a bit longer roof for the proportions to look just right .

I keep thinking it needs an emblem low on the sail to balance the look. Either that or push the body line onto the door a little, or create a new dogleg shape there. Or eliminate that line between sail panel and bedside. This pic has a terrible dent revealing reflection where the drip rail ends but its s tough looking Nova.

Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "GPster"I'd always thought that  Bodge/Plymouth should have cashed in on the  El Camino or Ranchero idea with a version. I might have thought a little harder about it if some raw material had appeared with-in my reach. I envisioned starting with a mid '60s station wagon and using the same year's/model's 2 dr sedan's doors and "B" pillars as a start for the conversion. I wanted to start with a station wagon as I thought their uni-body structure would be more substantial than a sedan's and that the tail gate's back end structure would be a more substantial roof structure than a sedan's back window. GPster

The start with a wagon thought has merit. It gives me yet snother wacky idea, a Nova Nomad.

So... Polara? Fury? Belvedere? Or something more sporty? My thinking is that a two door starting point is most natural. But sedan wheelbase might lend itself better on some cars.

I am just playing on the PC, I miss it since lightning took out the network card. I guess if I could do this on other people's ideas, that might be side work I could do at home. If any of you guys have an idea you'd like to "see" like this, I could practice on it possibly. Ask.
Matt

enjenjo

I think it would be better if you used the rear window frame and sail panel from a Nova four door sedan.

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

You might be onto something there, I'll try it. That would for sure require cut glass, I think.

My elCo was a '76 and I also wonder about that roof. Might give that a go, too. I appreciate the input. I seem to recall the 68-79 X body as a split platform. If so, it might look better with sedan rockers too.
Matt

kb426

I have the saw, where's the parts? :)
Interesting concept. I'm a Ranchero guy so all these concepts get my attention.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

have you ever seen the zephyr/Fairmont  ranchero that was custom made by some shop ? That was a good proportioned one , I have also seen pinto wagons rancheroed that looked ok

idrivejunk

I have a few pics of a Fairmont one from a swap meet years ago. Lots of smog era rides could work. I think Novas since they are leaf spring to begin with could be bed floored and easy full framed. For if you gotta carry two Pontiac V8s or an ATV. Or all your tools. I have pics of all that in my old one. Here is Frank's suggestion rendered. The drip rail would fall a few inches short at bottom. I extended it. Wonder if this concept applies to any Grand Prixs...

Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"I have the saw, where's the parts? :)
Interesting concept. I'm a Ranchero guy so all these concepts get my attention.

Quit standing there throttle whipping a sawzall and wagging an eyebrow, KB.  :lol:  Whats your ideer :?:  :idea:
Matt

idrivejunk

No extra charge for grafitti removal, Frank. :wink:
Matt

kb426

Most of us have seen a sedan shortened. More often than not, they ruined it. To have the flow of the roofline is the magic part to me. Years ago on ebay I saw a 65 Mustang that was good. I had no use for it but I have some regret for not buying it. :) The magic of software allows a whole world of opportunities without a ruined project. Matt, my thought is to use an earlier nose. The later Nova style front end after the bumper laws doesn't get me excited. The cars that have the bumpers tucked now sure do look nice. Surely C.K. will be asking what color of metalflake. :)
TEAM SMART

GPster

Quote from: "kb426"Most of us have seen a sedan shortened. More often than not, they ruined it. To have the flow of the roofline is the magic part to me. Years ago on ebay  :)
Ages ago I saw in a magazine an article of * Dean doing a top chop on something (maybe a '56 Ford pickup)  and he did something about that roof contour and not having a weld across the roof. He had taken the old roof with the door and window tops and trimmed the roof panel from it about three inches from the inside of the rain gutter and front and back edges. The door, window, rain gutter sides were fastened back on the body at the correct height for the top chop then a new roof panel that had been cut just inside the rain gutters was set on top of the vehicle and slid around  so that the crown of the roof could be positioned where it needed to be to give the correct  curve to the roof line. It gave the complete perimeter of the roof needed welded but it didn't leave you with a roof crown that you needed to establish. The idea makes more sense than my explanation and it's completion takes more body working skills than I have but when I wanted to fill the roof opening on my '31 Model A Ford coupe I just took the roof section of a '57 Chevy and laid it on top of the Model A's roof and slid the '57 roof around the top of the Model A body and viewed it from inside the body to see that the roofs laid together all the ways around. There are different ways to look at it and I'm surprised that I haven't seen anybody looking that way again because the problem seems to reappear. GPstre

idrivejunk

KB, when it comes to CK and flake its the size that matters. 1/2" drill chips, howbout dat? :lol: I don't know if you can pick up on it from the film era pics but I sure did tuck that Ventura front bumper. And then somebody hit it and drove off. :roll:  Front valances were unobtainium so I clearanced the inside top corners of the bumper and moved it back to eliminate that need. Plus shaved bolts. Safety bumpers are barfy. :)  Want me to try something with your new rod? I thought of it but have no idea what vision you have for it.

GP, that sounds familiar. I think it was last winter's 33 coupe job that I used a first gen Camaro roof section on. I always wanted to chop something but nobody has asked me to yet. Its all just metal, it can be whatever you want. Sometimes a sketch or photo edit like these are all it takes to nip a crummy idea like KB was talking about in the bud. Or to tweak it. I texted the little white Nova thing above to my boss and he asked where did I get the pic, concept? I sure would not mind doing visual alterations for customers some day if it could be worthwhile.
Matt