Steering Column

Started by 1950Shoebox, July 28, 2004, 09:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1950Shoebox

Has anyone out there sub-framed a 50 Ford with a Nova sub-frame? If so, what steering column did you use with it? My sub-frame is a 1971. Thanks.
Mark / N.E. Ohio

enjenjo

Are you having a problem getting it to line up with the steering box? Try an 85 or so Buick Park Avenue or similar model from Olds. The column is real short, with a cable shifter, so you can put one Ujoint inside the car to get better angles on the steering shaft. The column will need a second mount inside the car to make it stable. You can use a B&M shift cable with this column, run it through the kick panel on the left side, and under the body to the trans.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

1950Shoebox

Quote from: "enjenjo"Are you having a problem getting it to line up with the steering box? Try an 85 or so Buick Park Avenue or similar model from Olds. The column is real short, with a cable shifter, so you can put one Ujoint inside the car to get better angles on the steering shaft. The column will need a second mount inside the car to make it stable. You can use a B&M shift cable with this column, run it through the kick panel on the left side, and under the body to the trans.

I have not purchased a steering column yet. Also my sub-frame is not installed yet. I was hoping someone out there had already done this and had an idea what worked for them. I have never done this before. There is a 68 Chevelle column on ebay with no bids right now. It is floor shift without an ignition, which is what I am lookig for. Mark

enjenjo

You can use a chevy van tilt column, they are easy to modify for no shifter, and much cheaper than the Chevelle column, unless it's a real deal.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Quote from: "1950Shoebox"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Are you having a problem getting it to line up with the steering box? Try an 85 or so Buick Park Avenue or similar model from Olds. The column is real short, with a cable shifter, so you can put one Ujoint inside the car to get better angles on the steering shaft. The column will need a second mount inside the car to make it stable. You can use a B&M shift cable with this column, run it through the kick panel on the left side, and under the body to the trans.

I have not purchased a steering column yet. Also my sub-frame is not installed yet. I was hoping someone out there had already done this and had an idea what worked for them. I have never done this before. There is a 68 Chevelle column on ebay with no bids right now. It is floor shift without an ignition, which is what I am lookig for. Mark

Super price might end up costing more before your done. I did the short Buick colunm a few years ago when I subbed my cpe, works out great. Did the C.O.E. I was building the same way except I shortened a van column 14".  Having the extra joint up in the passenger compartment makes contending with  the angles a lot easier. It's one reason why  many opt for a frt steer sub
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Dirk35

I used a 90s Chevy Camaro Column. Tilt with key on colum and all the cruise and wiper stuff on column also so it saves junk on dash. It was easy to shorten. Just make sure you sleve the shave before you place the outer houseing back together if you have to shorten it. It was real easy. I shortenen mine 8 inches if I remember correctly for my 35. It doesnt look all traditional though, if thats what your after. but it was super easy to make a column drop for. And, wooever had the totaled out Camaro had put a decent looking wheel on it already.