Wheel interchange help, please

Started by 1800guy, November 22, 2010, 08:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1800guy

I found the chart that gives wheel interchange based on bolt pattern, but it had nothing about rim sizes.  I'd like to find a 4.0 X 14 or 4.5 x 14 with 5 bolts on a 4.5" circle - hopefully something somewhat common.  Thanks in advance for any ideas.
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

wayne petty

thats some skinny wheels..

try this chart...

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Vehicle_Bolt_Pattern_Reference.cfm

you will have to sort through the different sections..

and you did not post what kind of offset...

4.5 bolt pattern equals...    114.3 MM.. bolt pattern...

closest thing i saw on a quick look was early rancheros in the ford 2 section.. with a 5.5 x 14 with the 5 on 114.3 bolt pattern and close to 0 offset...

and 14 X 5.5s with close to 0 offset on 70 to 80 mopars with disc brakes... look in the plymouth section

Plymouth MID-SIZE RWD MODELS W/DISC BRAKES
70-80  14 X 5.5  5X114.3   1/2-RH  -L

there are a bunch of wheel manufacturers out there.. that can make you almost anything you want in steel...

decades ago.. my brother in law had a custom set of rims made for his dually  ... he had to have the centers cut from one style of rims and new outers welded on...    so he could put on a set of 6. 12x16.5 radials on..   the fronts offset were reduced to clear the frame.. it looked like a big go cart rolling down the street... only about half an inch between the radials bump at the bottom...

hope this helps...

there is a small chance you will find something for a temp spare rim...  but most junk yards just strip them of the rubber and scrap the rims as soon as they hit the yard...

1800guy

Thanks - that will get me started on a more focused search.  Neutral off-set would be ideal, but I have a little fudge room either way.  I know most anything can be built, but I'm cheap by neccesity.  Besides, now I have an excuse to hang out in the junk-yard more.  Whoops - Recycle Center.

wayne petty

i dug a little deeper

toyota PICKUP 2WD   80-95   13/14x4.5   5x114.3   12x1.5   60.1   L/M offset ...

http://www.bolt-patterns.com/Toyota-Bolt-Patterns.htm

this would point me in the direction if the small toyota offset is not to much for you... and there is offset in the toyota truck wheels..

1800guy

Better yet - a little newer means a better chance of finding something still in the yards.  Never thought to check other imports, especially trucks.  Thanks again.

GPster

This suggestion might not work but maybe some trailer wheels. I know the 5 lug pattern is on a 4 1/2" bolt circle but I don't know how narrow they get. What do you want them for? Thinking back there was problems getting older 14" wheels over some brake drums. I know that even when they fit they will keep so much heat trapped that they cause brake fade. GPster

enjenjo

Late 50s Ramblers used a wheel like you want. Mostly on the Super model which became the Classic in the 60s
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.