The Rebuild of my Vauxhall almost there :)

Started by barnsey, December 27, 2009, 09:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barnsey

I went back out in the shed after the GP bikes were finished, and filled in the left side glove box, if i get a chance tonight or tomorrow i will do the drivers side.
It didn't come out too bad in the end, at least when its finished i will have a cleaner looking dash, it will probabley need a thin skim of bondo to get it all smoothed up but there won't be any where near as much as i ground out of it to start with   :)
I am starting to get a bit more comfortable with cutting things up on the car, It doesn't seem as scary as it used too  ;)
cheers barnsey

barnsey

Ok the dash is done, ready for a skim of bondo, a sand, and some paint.  :)
barnsey.

barnsey

Finished smoothing up my dash today, just need to wet rub it and clearcoat it, I used gmh black because i had a spare 4 litres, I tried painting an old volvo door first to see how it would come up when cleared, it just came up like any other gloss black paint that i have seen, so thats what i painted the dash in. the rest of the inside of the car will also be painted the same, and have a redish burgandy color door trims and seats with black carpet.
any way here is the dash after 3 coats of gmh black, I will leave the clear coat until tomorrow. :)
cheers barnsey.

barnsey

Well after applying three clear coats this morning, I put the heat lights inside the car and left them on until the V8's were over, it dried out and hardened up niceley, then this arfternoon I wet sanded it all with 1500, then 2000 grit wet n dry, I will wait until i pick up my gauges  before i buff it.
Another mate has a hydrulic hole punch that i will use to punch the holes through after i have buffed it.
here is the dash after wet sanding with 2000 grit, now all i have to do is repeat the prosess on the inside of the 4 doors.
cheers barnsey.

barnsey

I decided it looked a bit plain, so i frew a bit of red flake at it and followed up with 6 more coats of clear, will let it harden up for a week before cutting back and buffing, then i can fit my new gauges.
cheers barnsey.
It was a bit hard to get a decent photo, but here are a couple anyway.
cheers.

barnsey

I rubbed the dash back with 2000 wet n dry ready for the last coat of gloss, things went pretty wrong from there, I used the last of my gloss up before i did the final wet sand, so i went to Repco and bought a litre of K&H clear gloss acrylic, it turned out that it wasn't compatable with the Sickens acrylic clear gloss that i had used on the previouse 6 coats, it looked great when first applied, then about 5 min's later it turned to s%#t and opened up with crows feet all the way back to the basecoat, lucky i was only painting the dash, it would have been a nightmare if it was the outside of the car, anyway i decided to take a drive into Dubbo, about 55k's from home and bought a fresh 4litre tin of clear coat, while i was there i picked out some new paint to hopfully do the rest of the car in over xmas, the new color will probably shock a few people that know me, but sometimes its good to dare to be different, :)
when i get the dash back in color, i will give you guys the first look and listen to your comments before it goes up on ozrodders  :).
well the dash is now almost ready to paint again, the holes for the gauges are cut, and the gauges are just sitting in there holes, looks heaps better than the ones i took out, now i can finish getting the dash ready for some color, might get all the door shuts ready as well before i add any color, then i can start on the wireing and trim.
barnsey.

I think it also looks beter having the old compartment holes filled.
this pic is from when i put the A30 gauges in a couple of years ago.

barnsey

Well i guess there is no turning back now, I just finished 3 days of dry sanding and a day of wet sanding, the body now has its first coat of primer filler  :D  It came out great, with just a few smallish stone chips that will require filling, and a few marks around the door shuts, I will hopefully get them done today and then dry sand the whole body before laying on another coat of primer filler, then i will put it in the corner of the shed and start work on all the hang on panels, the new color is much brighter than the old color, it was a spur of the moment thingie, when you get a few color charts in front of you they all look the same after a while,  :oops: If all goes to plan i will put the new jam on her in the next week or two.  :D  :D
cheers barnsey

the stocko volvo rims look small on it lol

barnsey

its a bit hard to get a pic of the color, and it could prolly do with a good stir , which will make it a bit darker, but i am just going to leave it be until i can get the rest of the car ready for pant, then i can hook in and get it finished, the problem i am having now is that work is starting to get busy comming up to xmas, so it looks like the only time i will get to work on her is at night, and hopfully get a weekend off when i am ready to lay some paint on, I don't want to be painting at night out here, there are too many insects that seem to be attracted to heat lights at night lol

barnsey

I had my second job for today cancel until tomorrow, so i got home before lunch and was able to have a play with my car, I put two coats of color and two coats of clear on my dash, then pushed it out in the sun to let dry all day in the 38 degree heat, then I wet sanded it down with 2000 grit wet n dry ready for the final coat of clear next time i get an early day.
this is before wet sanding.
cheers barnsey

after sanding

barnsey

Another update,
Well the house i have been living in for almost 3 years sold at auction, and because i never had a lease i might have to move out before xmas, as the new owners want to move in before xmas, so i need to pack up and move pretty soon, so i pulled the Vauxhall out of the corner and wet sanded it today and then put the first coat of color on it, its pretty bright, not what i expected but its too late to turn back now, lol
I am going to give it a wet sand tonight and hopfully put the last coat on tomorrow followed by a few coats of clear, then at least i can move it to my new place if i can find one.,
I am leaving all the hang on panels until i am settled in the new place where hopfully i will be able to start finishing it off and get it erunning by early to mid january. I am not looking forward to moving, but thats the way the cookie has crumbled and i will just have to live with it.
cheers barnsey  :D  :D

barnsey

Been back out and wet rubbed the roof, then gave the roof another coat, the paint is bright and dark until you turn the shed lights on, then it goes a pinky color  :oops:  was supposed to be purple not pink  :shock: .
barnsey

barnsey

Hi Guys,
Well it looks like i have found another home to live in, as the place i am curently renting has been sold at auction a couple of weeks ago, I have been busy cleaning up my shed and finding all the bits i need to put my car back togeather, and also getting all my tools sorted ready for the move,this is how the car looks at present, I moved it out of the shed this morning and hosed the dust of it, When i get to the new house i will wet rub it back and put another coat on it and clear it,
cheers barnsey.

I am thinking about leaving the firewall red, as the engine is red, would it look too out of place.

Crosley.In.AZ

i like the purple colour.... looks good in the photos.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

I have been following this on the Aussie board, looking good.   I hate to say this, but I liked the red, not that the purple is bad.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

I like it in purple. Of course I am a little bias that way.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.