The Beast of Turin

Started by purplepickup, December 05, 2014, 06:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

Here's an article and movie trailer of what looks like an interesting story.  In the trailer they fire up a 100 yr old, 1726 cubic inch 300hp Fiat four banger that ran over 140mph in 1913.  Pretty impressive!
http://bangshift.com/bangshiftapex/beast-turin-watch-trailer-looks-amazing-film-saving-one-craziest-cars-ever-built/
And some more pics... http://theoldmotor.com/?p=133946
George

chimp koose

Saw that the other day . There were links to the first start up etc. on speedtalk .

kb426

TEAM SMART

Rrumbler

It is hard trying not to grin when that thing fires.  Those guys had to be walking on air.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

phat46

140 MPH, on those spindly wire wheels and three inch wide tires! Chain drive, those guys had brass ----s!!! Hell, I'd be scared to crank start that thing, if it kicked back it could kill ya! Sure would like to see it run in person though, even get a ride in it.

kb426

Someone explain why there was the delayed reaction to firing. Is there a wound spring that turns the engine over or is there something else mechanical hooked to the crank?
TEAM SMART

39deluxe

I noticed that too. It was amazing though.

Tom

chimp koose

maybe someone spun the mag to get it to start. An older gent once told me that if you were smart about it on the model T you would back down the mag before you shut it off and then when you went to restart you might be able to restart by triggering the mag instead of cranking it over. I wonder if they figured they could avoid a trip to the hospital for a backfire by bringing it up on compression with the mag retarded and then swinging the spark advance lever to trigger the mag when hands were free of the crank handle.They must have drawn straws to see who would have to crank it.

phat46

Quote from: "chimp koose"maybe someone spun the mag to get it to start. An older gent once told me that if you were smart about it on the model T you would back down the mag before you shut it off and then when you went to restart you might be able to restart by triggering the mag instead of cranking it over. I wonder if they figured they could avoid a trip to the hospital for a backfire by bringing it up on compression with the mag retarded and then swinging the spark advance lever to trigger the mag when hands were free of the crank handle.They must have drawn straws to see who would have to crank it.

Very possible, there used to be a team that toured around to towns and disassembled a Model T and put it back together in something like ten minutes. They would try to start the engine without cranking by just firing the mag. It worked both times I saw them do it.

enjenjo

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "chimp koose"maybe someone spun the mag to get it to start. An older gent once told me that if you were smart about it on the model T you would back down the mag before you shut it off and then when you went to restart you might be able to restart by triggering the mag instead of cranking it over. I wonder if they figured they could avoid a trip to the hospital for a backfire by bringing it up on compression with the mag retarded and then swinging the spark advance lever to trigger the mag when hands were free of the crank handle.They must have drawn straws to see who would have to crank it.

Very possible, there used to be a team that toured around to towns and disassembled a Model T and put it back together in something like ten minutes. They would try to start the engine without cranking by just firing the mag. It worked both times I saw them do it.

I have had a late model car start when the ignition was turned on without cranking it. My guess on the Fiat is that it has a clock spring that the hand crank winds up, and is released to turn the engine over. It was kind of common on old farm tractors made in that era.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "phat46"

I have had a late model car start when the ignition was turned on without cranking it. My guess on the Fiat is that
Quoteit has a clock spring that the hand crank winds up, and is released to turn the engine over. It was kind of common on old farm tractors made in that era.

That same idea is still being used on McCulloch chain saws ... :shock:

Bob...  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

At the opposite end of the spectrum, the Honda Express moped has a clock spring.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

KB I used a Honda express front wheel on the mini chopper my students and I are building.

WZ JUNK

Here is an example of how they may have started the beast.  It is near the end of the video that they finally succeed.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH