Chrome powdercoating.

Started by kb426, October 09, 2023, 07:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Has anybody tried the chrome powder? I would like to do window garnish moldings. Is this a viable alternative or a bad idea? :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

All I have seen in person is "ceramic coated" stuff. Like custom intake pipes, headers. Not quite chromey enough for exterior brightwork.
Matt

lofat46

Eastwood has a spray chrome process. A friend used it on the grills of his '41 Ford and it looks great. It's like a 3-4 step process. Looks like real chrome.

enjenjo

I have a local guy that does my powder coating. He has done "chrome" powder coating for me in the past. It looks more line polished aluminum to me, it just doesn't have the depth real chrome has. That said it works very nicely for accents like pulleys and brackets, and would probably look nice on garnish moldings. It does need to be coated with powder clear or it will break down when exposed to the sun.

If you have it powder coated there are places that can do vacuum metalizing over the powder, and is ends up being real chrome.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

If the pieces in question could be "wrapped", chrome vinyl might look convincing.
Matt