Old time directional signals

Started by GPster, July 01, 2023, 04:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

The Jeepster's wiring is mostly 1987 GMC S15. The steering column is out of a 1991 Chevy S10 Blazer (with a new directional switch). The Jeepster's front light sockets were changed for two filament bulbs ( 1034 1157 ). The rear light are trailer lights. My right side lights will light when That side is selected but the won't blink.  It seems that I that I remember that when the lights changed from 1034 to 1157 some older 12v cars had a similar problem and I seem to remember it had something to do with the amount of power the bulbs used effecting the flasher. I'm too lazy to go out and pull the bulbs and check them (cause they do light) with-out some other ideas, so I'm asking here for any ideas. GPster

kb426

My exp. has been that not enough load will cause the circuit to not blink. You can have one side of a bulb dead, poor connection in the socket, poor connection in the wiring. I would swap out a flashed just because they usually are fairly easy to get to. Because you don't drive this often, I would not discount corrosion in a socket. By accident, I found that if I boosted a battery with a charger, that sometimes the circuit would start working.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Years ago, when I had a flasher - turn signal that was too fast with a trailer hooked on to the truck..  I bought an electronic flasher that fixed the problem. It may help you here?

It was a dark clear plastic design.  I googled it.  I see the flasher is still offered at various online stores
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

OK, all the bulbs are the same 1157 and all the sockets are new. All the sockets are hard wired to ground and all the bulbs light. The column directional switch is new and the lights come on as selected. The right side just doesn't flash. The flasher is probably the one that came with the '87 donor wiring harness and I notice that the left side when it flashes does so at a very slow pace which might put some credibility to my original thought that it might be a problem with amp/watt in the system. So I ordered an electronic flasher from Amazon (because of Amazon Prime was cheaper and I could understand the description and instructions. It will be here before the 17th. GPster

GPster

Well, yesterday was between the 10th and the 17th of July on Amazon's calendar. I got the electronic flasher and ran out and plugged it in. Maybe it was less expensive than the competition's because it didn't work. None of the lights came on. I re-installed the flasher I had originally used and was back to the left side flashing and the right side just lit. My guess is the new flasher is no good. Oh Well! I hope the ship from the far east had more than one on it. GPster

kb426

Joe, when I was messing with the 72 a few weeks ago, I found that I could test a flasher with a spare light bulb and socket. I connected one led of the socket to the ground on the battery. I connected the positive from the battery to one side of the flasher and the other side to the other lead on the socket and bulb. If it flashes, the flasher isn't the problem.
TEAM SMART

GPster

There's no continuity through this flasher the new flasher from Amazon so none of the lights came on.We called Amazon yesterday and today it went out in the mail and a replacement will be coming. They don't seem to have very good luck with electrical stuff. The first GPS speedometer I got from them didn't work either. Oh Well! GPster

58 Yeoman

Joe, there haven't been good products for quite a while.  The Corvair sites I go to say there hasn't been a reliable mechanical fuel pump for Corvairs for the last 20 years.  Many are going to electric pumps. Condensers for the points are usually dead right out of the box.

Good luck with your next one.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

GPster

Well, my boat came in today. The new flasher came in and the lights blink on the GPS. Of course the new direction signal switch in the column has decided to return to the off position and not stay in the selected left or right position and working by myself I'm not fast enough to see if the light are blinking. Maybe my '48 Jeepster is trying to tell me that it didn't have directional signal lights. Oh Well! GPster