Re-intro

Started by Tman, December 06, 2023, 03:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tman

Trent here. Many of you know me from movies I have starred in such as Speedweek 2003, HAMB Drags 1 and the Two, Burnt years. I think I first posted here sometime in 01 or so? Over time something happened to my account so this is my reintroduction. I have always been more active on the Jalopy Journal but after 23 years and 38k+ posts was banned for questioning questionable moderation ;)

Quick update. Building a 51 GMC Pickup with one of my buddy Steve's Industrial Chassis Dodge Dakota front crossmember kits. I will start a thread on this after I rescue some of my old pics from the other board. I am running a 283 and T350 in it. Plan on it being my daily.

Also still have my Bonneville Lakester project that was put on hold. I got busy helping Timmy McMaster with his Yblock stuff on the salt and had a divorce in the same time frame.

Also, just getting started using up some extra early Ford parts instead of storing them. Building a Model A frame with a Datsun 240z motor in it. Have not decided whether to use my 29 closed cab body or build a T modified, I have both bodies as well as a roller Model A Tudor I was building when the Salt Bug bit me.

So, that's it! howdy from Western Sodak!

enjenjo

Have you burnt any pigs lately? You will never live that down.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Tman

Thats the one and only one Frank! You guy were a great help in recovering. Mel and I bought out EVERY burger we could find in Joplin that day!

jaybee

Hey Tman, I remember you. Welcome back! Those sound like interesting projects, can't wait to hear about them.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

chimp koose

I have lurked at the hamb for a long time . Never joined as I am not following the pre 65 thing and it is a little frosty there if you dont. 240Z drivetrain sounds like it would be a hoot in a T modified . I have a friend with a 240Z LS twin turbo powered . It used to have a 500 caddy in it . Welcome back.

sirstude

Welcome back.  Glad to see you again.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Tman

Thanks guys! enjenjo was telling me of a version of a t5 that was mounted behind Z motors so I need to do some digging. Mine currently has an auto. Leaning towards putting it in the fenderless 29 Pickup since I have a current title for one. But, I also have the tudor that was a roller titled and licensed so who knows?

enjenjo

I did some more digging the T5 came in the 280zx models. It used the "ford" bolt pattern. So there will be some bellhousings available. Pricy but available. The automatic trans bellhousing can be modified to work too by making an adapter to bolt to the bellhousing drilled for the Ford bolt pattern and bearing retainer.

The flywheel is easy there are several options on flywheel application. Several models used a flywheel that will work with the 240mm clutch. Fort Wayne Clutch can build you a disc to fit the spline you have.

For your T you may want a S10 tailhousing to move the shifter forward. The 280z tailshaft is a unique spline 1.3" by 23 spline, but for your use both a GM 1.5 by 27 spline, or a Ford 1.5 by 28 spline will work.

The toughest part of this will be finding a bellhousing.

If you use a Ford or GM V8 input shaft the stock Pilot bushing has to be reamed o.oo5" to fit, or you can turn down a GM pilot busking to 0.815".

I would suggest a concentric hydraulic clutch since the pedal is already set up for hydraulic operation. Some of the Mustang V6 cars used one that may be able to be modified to work.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Tman

Cool! Let me see what I have for parts already in the stash  :wink:

idrivejunk

Hi Trent.  :)  I'm the newcomer here, only been since '08.  I whine a lot but do old car stuff at a shop. Sometimes good stuff.

Lets see, I did 30 something patches on a 280ZX, and suspension rebuild, years ago. Have tinkered with one '30 A, a couple X frame cars, several old trucks, some muscle, etc. Body work. Personal hobby activity stopped but I kept one for keeps.

I like the using up parts theme  8) Don't know where you guys get your project gumption but to all here, a tip of the hat.
Matt