Lotta progress today

Started by 48builder, May 06, 2023, 08:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

My wife was away today so I had no other directions to follow so Spent the entire day on the '48. First I finally got my gas filler tube hooked up. The donor Taurus for thew door had a 1 inch filler, but my tank had 1-1/4. I bought a couple mandrel-bent thin wall 1-1/4 els from Performance Tube Bending in California. One of the slipped right over the Taurus filler tube. I welded that on and then used another el and a couple sections of rubber fuel line to tie them together.

Then it was on to my window regulators. Years ago I fabricated a mount for the Z's motors on the 48 regulators and today replaced all the rivets and rollers. Found a good deal on them at H and H reproductions. They sell them for 55-57 but they are all the same. All the early chevy parts places only had the 1/4" rivets and my cars has 5/16. Thes from H and H are perfect.

Then sandblasted my exhaust manifolds and coated them with POR 15 high temp gray. They look great.

Then painted the inside of the front fenders with POR-15 gloss black.

The last project of the day was a PIA. I bought this special "space-age" heat blanket at a NSRQA show 15 years ago. Company called Insulshield. The aluminum has what they call a ceramic interior and it just crumbles when I cut it. You have to tape up anyplace you cut and it took me 2 hours to make a small piece for the firewall. I still have to make pieces to go over tranny and down the side up to the seats but once the firewall piece is in place I can start putting the wiring in.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

jaybee

Little bits all over...

How does that POR high temp hold up?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

48builder

I don't know. I had the can sitting on my shelf for 15 years and this is the first time I've used it. I hope to have this thing started up in a couple months and I'll report then on how it looks after being heated.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver