48 chevy truck

Started by kb426, September 07, 2022, 04:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Hmmm,
  • Bad spot on the TPS?
  • EGR system operating as it should?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

New tps but it and the original both checked 100%. All egr has been deleted. When I removed the 90 degree elbow from the intake manifold, that took care of that. :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

kb426

Only the valve covers. LOL.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I kept hearing a small exhaust leak somewhere. I jacked up the truck and found that my cheap slip joint clamps were leaking some. I installed 2 dinosaur clamps and that ended that. Taking the mufflers off won't be near as easy but I'll deal with that when the time comes. :) I ripped out the threads on the 2 areas on the blue car show bag that were wrinkled and trimmed and resewed. It's not perfect but it's going to work for now. I have enough material to do another but until I get a better idea on how to improve it, I'm going to move on. In search of a crank case vacuum leak, I connected my shop vac to the oil fill tube on the valve cover. I had a vacuum gauge stuck in the dipstick tube. It would pull about 2 inches of vacuum. That's a large capacity shop vac. There's no way a pcv system is going to pull that volume so I'm going to quit chasing ghosts in that area. While doing that, I pulled a cap off from a tube on the intake and stuck the gauge in that orifice. It registered zero vacuum so I don't think there is a leak from that direction. The only thing not checked would be the intake tube. I wound need to remove the air filter and put a plate with a hole over the inlet to check that. The tube and hose was all new when installed. The truck idles perfectly so I think I have eliminated the chance of a leak in between the mass air sensor and the intake manifold. ????
TEAM SMART

jaybee

Sure sounds like it. Do you have the ability to do a smoke test?

kb426

TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

WAG from Ford-dumb casual observer... :)

Any chance turbulence due to breeze across the exposed air intake could be confusing the MAF? I hear tell that can be a thing.
Matt

kb426

Matt, when they're real close to a fan or out in the wind, that can be an issue. This one is farther away than the 32 was so I don't believe it's an issue.
Last night, I ordered a different brand of mass air sensor. If that doesn't fix it, there will be a decision to make. :) This morning I ordered a new T5. The rear seal is leaking just a little on the trans. I checked that shaft for straightness when I put the rear bearing cradle in. I don't know what's going on but by the time I rebuild it and maybe replace some shafts, there's a pile of money in it. This truck needs to be 100% because of the distances I travel. My sense of humor is wearing thin with the trans and the efi. When I have the trans out, I'm installing a repair sleeve and another main seal. The engine drips too much for me. :) That's today's update. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Make sure the plug in the driveshaft yoke is sealed, we just had this problem on Josh's 89 Mustang.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

TEAM SMART

kb426

I have a pattern for the door panels made. Nothing exotic but a little bit of metal work. Next will be to see if the metal will comply with my wishes. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S has stories. :) The 1st: this morning I have a shipping update on the trans. Postponed at least until tomorrow, maybe monday. USPS delivers the crank seal and sleeve. Check out the pic. Box had no damage. Might be wednesday for a replacement. 2nd: Door panels are on but unpainted. Left one went on as planned. Right one didn't have quite enough travel for the door handle. I found this out after bolting it on and closing the door. It requires unbolting the panel on the inside to move the panel and unlatch the door. Some work with the file and it's all taken care of. Minor in the world of building stuff. :)

I'm not able to upload pics, either.
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S got to thinking about the bare metal door panels and decided to not wait on warm weather. I heated the shop and put the panels in front of the heater. A couple of hours later I shot epoxy and then waited another hour and shot 2 coats of urethane. I will have more than 8 hours of drying time above 60 degrees so I'm semi confident they will be fine. :)
I'm still unable to upload pics.
TEAM SMART

jaybee

I use a LOT of UPS at work. They're now in the game of figuring out how bad their service can be and maintain business. Pretty bad since the USPS has deteriorated badly over the past five years, and from what I hear Fedex is just as bad. Prices have increased. At least 1/3 of my packages get delayed by a day or more, even on overnight shipments. Don't even think of taking the upcharge for Saturday delivery, that just doesn't happen.