Oh no he didn't!

Started by idrivejunk, April 05, 2018, 09:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Well, yes he did. My friend turbo'ed his junk.

In his words, he wanted to "take from me" the honor of quickest daily driver among our fellow employees, "because he can". :roll:

So there ya go, four hundred horse six speed ricer. Rubbing my nose in the number like a bad dog on a dark spot on the carpet. Daily.

Trouble is... he is gunnin' fer the purple car. I rode in the little POS and its a rocket. So whats a poor ole boy like me to do? I got better stuff laying around but nothing that affects going fast much if any. I understand that the competitive spirit and singling me out is high flattery but he is whipping a dead horse.

Can't let America fade into the background without a fight here, can I? :?:  :evil:  Brush it off and keep cruisin'? :? Enduring taunts gets me nervy. I would need some top notch advice to soup up the 455 but man theres a lot to lose if I screw up. Then theres the tired GTP that keeps on like a zombie.

Mischevious commentary welcomed  :D  

Matt

enjenjo

A 150 hp nitrous shot should do it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Buck fifty is a mighty load on the 3800  :shock: It'd have to be good for a second and a half!

Integras do almost all they can do N/A. Traction. But after looking around, I would size him up at 13.3- 13.8 IF ironed out and drove right. I got a 14.2 out of Grape with a soggy 400 running 255s out back and soon I'll score fresh those. Backing down from 275s, but that change gained four tenths when I tried it. Thru the traps well into third instead of wringing second dry. Maybe fresh 255s  is all I need. I'll run away until halfway through second but it would have to be enough lead because I think he'd catch up starting then.

GTPs need quite a few goodies to break into 13s but maybe half what he spent. Has two jobs, I can't compete. But all the friendly acceleration rivalry aside, I have wanted to do stuff to the 455 ever since I got it. But the engine is unknown except for my usage and my last venture into trying to breathe on a Pontiac was utterly sadistic so I am terrified of touching my noble servant 455. I would require advice help from the likes of you guys here at RRT and you know how wishy-washy I am. Not too confident here, but I vaguely remember playing with engines.

For years, I have tried to get my mind around a boneyard EFI engine swap thats worthy and LQ4 is the only thing that pops up. I am skeptical about it being a worthy replacement but thats where the world points. The years driving a blown 3800 have sold me on moving away from any old-gen flat tappet powerplants. I just ain't that good. For now, I keep telling myself the Acura will break soon. But, y'know... :arrow: :0-0

I just want to have a sporting chance to show him this... :)( eventually. There was shop talk of us dudes throwing in to rent Mo-Kan for a day. A customer did that. If the boss participated he would mop the floor with our bunch so I keep reminding my hero that "fastest thing in the parking lot" has not been proven. His buddy with the Cressida (cammed inline 6) says the Integra hop up is all about knocking off the purple car and that the "how fast" mystery of the 455 is a thorn in that guy's side. I could just ride out the jabber surge and continue as always, but these glove slaps demand satisfaction for a man's honor!
Matt

idrivejunk

Perhaps the quickest way past all day long turbo Honda shop jabber is to snap up the challenge enthusiastically and lose badly on purpose then act as though my soul is crushed. Just like out on the road when theres no other traffic but the one other car has to be 3 feet from you getting his side mirrors to align perfectly with yours... shadowing you for miles and miles regardless of speed... I often finally just jam the brakes or pull over and wait for them to get out of sight. But seriously, the kid talks from the time he gets there until time to leave and beyond. I guess now I know how you guys feel about my posts. Kinda the same thing only I don't go out of sight. :lol:
Matt

enjenjo

Well you could pull out the 455, and slip two of those blown 3.8 EFI motors in there. Then put a 150 hp NOS shot on each. Tell him you have a 462.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Maybe take him & three LARGE friends for a ride in the GP , the for a ride in his ricer ....See how the LARGE friends enjoy that ... :idea:  :roll:  :?  :shock:

I GOT IT  :!:  :!:  :idea:   Prepare your window tracks with silicone spray..... THEN challenge him to a WINDOW RACE   :idea:  
See who "get's it down" faster .. :shock:  :shock:  :?  :lol:  8)

If your GP is R-12.....How about a "Coolest Duct Challenge"  :idea:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :shock:

I think it's time for my meds..... :roll:  :oops:  8)

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

348tripower

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Maybe take him & three LARGE friends for a ride in the GP , the for a ride in his ricer ....See how the LARGE friends enjoy that ... :idea:  :roll:  :?  :shock:

I GOT IT  :!:  :!:  :idea:   Prepare your window tracks with silicone spray..... THEN challenge him to a WINDOW RACE   :idea:  

If your GP is R-12.....How about a "Coolest Duct Challenge"  :idea:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :shock:

Bob the home called your pass has expired. :shock:
Don Colliau

idrivejunk

Quote from: "enjenjo"Well you could pull out the 455, and slip two of those blown 3.8 EFI motors in there. Then put a 150 hp NOS shot on each. Tell him you have a 462.

I think I already told him that... correct me if I'm wrong but 455 poked .030 is a 462. :shock:  So that means yeah one of my rides has twice the engine as the other. Until you shove multiple atmospheres down it. :wink:  It works out, one gets twice the MPG too.

But I'd say the GTP is around 3500 lbs and the GP 4500. Stock GTP rated at 240/280, conservatively on the latter and a 15 flat car brand new on 93.

With the overcammed 400+.060, the GP was mid 14s with 275/60s, and the 255s went the 14.2. The 455 not only has the low end but seems to pull harder up top, too. Both run out of air around 4,500 RPM and shifting at 4800 seems to drop it into the fat part of the curve.

But... I have too much cam wear and cannot mentally solve that short of a rebuild. Any changes will eat tax refund in one gulp.

So if theres a brain in my head, I'd keep him guessing forever on that and flog him with the blown 3800. Funny you mention it, I do have the '02 L67 with half the miles cluttering the Catty corner at the shop. Prolly 3 years since it ran.

Today, now, the obvious choice becomes a 50 or 75 shot on the GTP. Because this engine has over a quarter million miles and I have a better one to put in, because that would be doing it with my daily driver, and because peril avoidance for the 455.

A guy on the deceased GP forum, from a race shop, put another 3800 in the back of a GTP. Both turbo'ed. Tuned for 500 HP up front and 700 out back. There was mega youtube 4x4 burnout mayhem with it but it was just too hot in there and the unibody wasn't enough car for it but I think it went high 9s. Then they swapped to a tube chassis sans body and broke into the eights. They found the best setup for staying on track and not blowing up uber pricey transmissions each pass was to launch on the puller the roll into the pusher with an ATV thumb throttle.

Then theres my 180K GT. Same as GTP but no blower, no HD diff. But 3.29 gear N/A vs 2.93 for blown. The hot ticket is to turbo a GT for 2 or 3 grand.

The cheap ticket is to top swap blown top end onto N/A bottom end. Has .6 more compression and can be done without tuning.

Middle of the road (but buying stuff) is headers and pulley size drop. Going from stock 3.8" to a 3.4, with headers and tune... plus intercooler, meth injection and slicks might get me in the sub-14 neighborhood barely with the GTP.

I feel whooped at the game, but like I told him... anytime. I'm as willing at this moment as I ever was, to give him a run. Losing is still fun. Hearing about it, not so much. Just don't give a hoot and want him to hush. He asked me if I would do something about it 25 years ago, and says I look retirement age. This here bench racing is my speed now I reckon. :)
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Maybe take him & three LARGE friends for a ride in the GP , the for a ride in his ricer ....See how the LARGE friends enjoy that ... :idea:  :roll:  :?  :shock:

Bob this guy is around 350 lbs :shock: If turbocharged forks were a thing he would have one.

Candle wax in the run channels. :wink:  :idea:

R12, lol. I always ask these guys after they blah blah about their junk... "So what sound does it make if you pour milk on it?"

Mmm, meds. Hey guys I realized today that I may have brought this upon myself. When he was new at work, he asked for a ride in the 455 car. I obliged, performing a lucky toss of a primo fishtail leaving the parking lot. Now that I think of it, his eyes got big and he grabbed dash and door as, with a lazy blip, I showed him both ditches over the hood, then rolled out squealing and tromped second. Must have bumped the cool knob too high and made a lasting impression. Now slave becomes master or whatever. :roll:  We would both deny that any mentoring has ever occurred but he says he has now known me longer than anybody. He is the guy who picked me up after both bad wrecks. The guy who brought me groceries when I was starving last month. Bah. I suppose we need young friends as we age. I can't deny he has earned a gloating pass from me.
Matt

kb426

I completely agree with your "young friends as we age" statement! Do whatever it takes to preserve the friendship. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Yeah I reckon grasshopper done snatched the pebble from my hand. Or has he? Thats probably the best way to keep it. Age and treachery will prevail is like my favorite saying though. That and you don't even get to be old by being stupid. Grey temples and stinging wit put them on edge haha. But yeah I don't even have a niece or nephew so...

... so my GPs are to be crushed immediately following my untimely demise, should such occur. He ain't getting my Gran Torino (see Clint's last movie). I mean... um... Prix. :lol:
Matt

idrivejunk

Alright then. I'll get new rear tires, run through my usual 455 checks and let the best man win. Snap Crackle Pop will happen if I can get him to stomp it enough times before his supporting modifications are in place. Maybe I can turn the table that way when he calls my bluff. Could be a close match.
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"I completely agree with your "young friends as we age" statement! Do whatever it takes to preserve the friendship. :)

I am with you on that but some disturbingly un-American statements come from him and we agree on almost nothing. Don't like the style or attitude, just lives closest to me. Does alright with simple bodywork and fiberglass but has a sense of entitlement the size of Texas. Half my age. I have not cultivated new or old friendships in years but this is not a friend of choice, just circumstance.
Matt

idrivejunk

Gents, I may finally have gathered the nerve to set about attempting to knock a hole in the mental block wall of indecision about the 455. I will try to start a thread that sounds sane and gets me somewhere. If I can do that first part, perhaps the second part will come with help from you. Thanks a lot to all of you for your continued patience. Keep an ear to the ground. :)  8)
Matt

idrivejunk

Whats the last thing you do before you re-tire? Find some friendly private property and do a couple brake stands while your hero shoots video. Theres a lot of good stories in the old 275s. R.I.P. teenage tires. Acura man raised his junk back up a little and put new wheels on it with 255 tires up front. 255s are what I am getting tomorrow. He followed me halfway home today trying to catch me at a stoplight. His car can eat my lunch anyday so I'll just stay scared.

:)

Matt