One more time on running air lines

Started by midnight sun, July 06, 2004, 07:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

hotrodder, that's exactly like what I want to do.  I don't know if you live in a humid area or not but I do and I'm hoping that will pretty much eliminate the water problem.
George

hotroddder

It can get fairly humid here, I still get some fine mist through an air nozzel on a warm day.   I am not running a dryer, but I should consider it.  I hoped that all the copper would condense the water out.  I took out a PVC system that had been place for over 10 years.  Man was it brittle.....  

Here is my hook up to the compressor....

Bib_Overalls

OK Hotrodder.  Show us some more pictures of your shop.  From what I can see in the air line pictures it is a died and gone the heaven kind of place.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

hotroddder

hotroddder

hotroddder

Bib_Overalls

Hot Rodder, I like your set up.  Where are you, just in case I need to borrow a hammer?
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

1FATGMC

Well after all the discussion I went and checked the prices of copper pipe here and it wasn't that much more than the PVC, so I'm going to take the pvc back and install the copper.  

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks 8) .

I'm going to keep some pvc in place in one area that still needs to be sheetrocked.  I'll cut it out and replace it later.

Thanks everyone for all the input on this.

c ya, Sum

hotroddder

Auburn Washington......  Quite a ways from Arky...  

But I do have a father in law that lives in Sheridan.....  Might be visitin next spring......

jaybee

Quote from: "Jimc"An old guy in our neighborhood used copper tubing coiled in a 5 gallon bucket in line to "Dry" air s it passed through the coils.
Worked pretty well.
I used pvc in my shop and have had no problems.
I used 1/2 inch. When I replace it, if I do, I will use larger. I had not thought storage would be a problem, but sometimes a little more air would come in handy.

This thread has been sitting idle for a while, but I just had to throw in another question regarding the coil of tube.  Will soft copper (the kind that comes in a coil) hold the pressure of a shop air system?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

Quote from: "jaybee"

This thread has been sitting idle for a while, but I just had to throw in another question regarding the coil of tube.  Will soft copper (the kind that comes in a coil) hold the pressure of a shop air system?

Sure, no problem. we used to use it on trucks for years. now days we use plastic air line.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bib_Overalls

Quote from: "jaybee"This thread has been sitting idle for a while, but I just had to throw in another question regarding the coil of tube.  Will soft copper (the kind that comes in a coil) hold the pressure of a shop air system?

It should.  Most compressors use a short length of small diamiter soft copper tube to connect the tank to the pressure switch and some use a length of 1/2" or 3/4" soft copper tube to connect the compressor to the tank.

If you use a coil the air should enter at the bottom and flow up.  You need a drip tube with some volume for the water to collect in and a drain.  The coil should be between your tank and your first filter/seperator.  All the coil does is add length to your system.  This gives the air more time to cool and drop moisture.  If you have a long run from your tank to your filter/seperator a coil may not add much to your system.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks