Its the weekend are you gonna do anything?

Started by jusjunk, January 06, 2007, 09:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick32vic

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "Nick32vic"Frank, how did you make that block off plate? What material did you use?

I started with a chunk of aluminum 5/8" thick. I think it was 5052. Dare I say it, billet. First, i drilled the mounting holes, then I laid out the fins. I then set it up in the mill, and ball milled the area between the fins. I used a 3/8" ball mill, and milled a slot .500 wide to flatten it on the bottom. I then cut a flat around each bolt hole. I then cut it to shape with a band saw, and belt sanded all the edges. At that point, I used a Scotchbrite disc to blend away all the sharp edges. After I did that, I sand blasted the surface with coarse sand to give it a cast effect. Then I sanded the edge, and the top of the fins with 240 grit paper, and buffed them bright.

Hey thanks for the explanation Frank! I really wasn't planning on making one, just curious. Thanks for taking the time to explain. :)

enjenjo

That's ok nick, just doing a bit of bragging, :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48builder

I did a functional check on an F-16's weapons systems. We have to do that after we change any part of the system. We have to make sure that it is going to work properly the next time it flies. Then I did a 30-day inpection on a 20mm gun system. The pilots like that to work well also. Had to hit the dirt a few times for some mortar attacks, but that's a regular occurance. Adds some excitement to the day.

On a happy note, I am going to be leaving here sometime soon, and should be back in the states shortly after that. All this talk about 151 rum and gin is making me thirsty, and the talk of working on cars wants me to get going on my project again as well. Won't be long now!

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

jusjunk

Im, havin a few Gin and Tonics for ya and wishing you were here safe and sound. Its friday I got home and did some more exhaust work on the roadster tonite. Next step is a parts run tomorrow in the am if they have what i need then a final check on the exhaust  and ill pull it and run down and see the neighbor and have him get it tig welded for me by his nephew. I need to talk to him anyway about the place he is working at and see if i need to stop by.. (looking) Im still undecided about the tranny cooler i got . Its ok but do i want to use it or get a nicer one. :?:  Ive also go to play with my electric fuel pump and see where im gonna put that bad boy. I dont think tomorrow is gonna be nice enuff to go get the harley from grandmas and take it up the street to my sons but ya never know.. Im thinking im close to frame blasting and some paint but i keep changin my mind on stuff.
Dave

WZ JUNK

Major ice storm hit here about 2 hours ago.  I bought a generator today as they say we may be out of power for a period of time.  I wanted a Honda generator like Ken's but had to make do with a Sears.  I may have to make a sled and move it back and forth from the house to the shop.  I bet my wife will not like that idea.

Come on summer.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Carnut

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Major ice storm hit here about 2 hours ago.  I bought a generator today as they say we may be out of power for a period of time.  I wanted a Honda generator like Ken's but had to make do with a Sears.  I may have to make a sled and move it back and forth from the house to the shop.  I bet my wife will not like that idea.

Come on summer.

John

Been thinking about a generator here just to keep my webservers going.

I know in the past when power went out for just awhile my UPS's kept them online.

chopped

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Major ice storm hit here about 2 hours ago.  I bought a generator today as they say we may be out of power for a period of time.  I wanted a Honda generator like Ken's but had to make do with a Sears.  I may have to make a sled and move it back and forth from the house to the shop.  I bet my wife will not like that idea.

Come on summer.

John
Should be around 70 tomarrow. Plan on installing the tube A-arms in the Nova clip.

Rayvyn

Yep, sure am... :!:  :!:

Got a call a couple of weeks ago from one of the Aussie hot rodders from Brisbane. He's in town for a week for a business conference, and we're doing a get together for the weekend; maybe take in a rod show or 2, nice dinner, some BS and an ale or two. Maybe even take a ride in the Poncho after I check to see if there's any salt air on the roads... :!:  :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

nzsimon

The 32 is now in a thousand pieces as I have had the chassis sandblasted and then dropped it off at the painters

I was going to paint it myself but there is only so much fumes and mess the wife will put up with

In the meantime I have the engine on a stand and I am polishing the entire engine I have completed nearly 3/4 of one side

Doing it with wet and dry wrapped into a cone on the dremel then buffing after I get it all flat very time consuming and tedious but the thought of a polished alloy v8 is keeping me going
I have nearly killed the dremel the front bearing is so full of wet and dry grit that it makes some awful noises
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

Grandadeo

Well its dark:30 here in Sunny Florida.  Heading out the door for the Early Ford V8, as in Flathead, meet down in Lake Worth.  My snowbird big brother is building a T-V8 so we're going to check out the cars and swapmeet and see what treasure can be had.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

Carps

Having spent the last two weekends away from home doing car guy stuff, it was time this week to do family stuff..

Got off early today so I had some time to draw some twisted lines on a little toolbox for one of my buddies.

Having got that done, I moved to the drawers of my garage filing cabinet, which has no filing in it only tools and model car kits.   :wink:

Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

jusjunk

Looks good Carps.. I wish i could stripe :!:  Well yesterday I made one modification to the drivers side exhaust pipe. Then i mounted the electric fuel pump and the fuel filler neck to the tank and the fuel sender in the tank. Of course the holes in the sender are staggered and they put the float in the wrong direction so i opened em up a little and moved one hole and now all is well. I coated the rubber gaskets with a little aviation permatex prior to assembly also. I had a little leak when i did the 34 so on the coupe i also used the permatex and it is fine so i decided to do the roadster as well. After i got all that done i moundet the tranny cooler to the cross member. I guess im going to use the one that came with the tranny . Its not as pretty as the b&m on the coupe but i gotta keep reminding myself this ones for sale :!:  Today i gotta try and get a baby bed ahuled up the street to the kids house but its freezin rain again :(  I guess ill take a stock check and figure out what else i need to do before i pull the body and get the frame in paint. Its really close.
Dave :arrow:

enjenjo

Spent the day saturday working on my grandson's stuff.  Replaced the overdrive servo cover on his car to cure a trans fluid leak, then assembled the frame and engine on his Elsinore. I did get a chance to work on the Buick for a couple hours, got the throttle body reconditioned, and mounted on the engine. Hopefully I'll get more time on it today.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Grandadeo

Saturday was just another hum drum day in paradise.  Went to the Early Ford V8 meet I mentioned before.  There were around 100 - 150 mostly restored Flathead Fords along with a dozen or so model As and Ts and a few flathead powered hot rods thrown in.  Only about 6 vendors in the swap area.  Picked up a pair of pre-49 offenhauser heads.  One looks good the other has had some valve to head contact.  But for $25 they are good wall hangers if nothing else. Also got a complete 9" Ford rearend with early Ford bolt patten that had been under a '37.  came with drums, spring and home made radius rods.  Had to give $50 for that.  The rear end will finish off the parts I need to put a '35 to '40 rolling chassis together.  Think I'm going to look for a '40 to '47 pickup cab for it and piece together a little shop truck.  I got the frame with thoughts of a '36 roadster but reality tells me the cost of that is not in the retirement budget and we already have the '32 roadster.  It was my first time at this meet and I will be back for sure.  Today was church and after this break its back to redoing our bathroom, cleaning and getting ready for new paint.  Yippee.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

Carps

Quote from: "jusjunk"Looks good Carps.. I wish i could stripe :!:  
I used to wish I could stripe too, now I just wish I was good at it.   :wink:  :lol:  :lol:

Quote from: "Crosley"You seem to stripe that type/size  of box often..... is that a common small tool box in Australia? Carry along in the car/hotrod ?
At around ten bux or less, they are dirt cheap so I buy them in pack lots.

Not available everywhere, but two major chains stock them.  Red ones from the Bunnings Hardwars chain and the blue ones from Super Cheap Auto.  

Yes, they are about the perfect size to fit in the boot/trunk with tools for a roadtrip, dunno the exact size so I'll have to measure one when I get home.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.