What are you doing today? 2018

Started by enjenjo, December 31, 2017, 03:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

You folks may not want me to talk about the weather here in the Valley of the Sun Arizona.  

Just remember how hot it gets here in the summer.  A new report out today.  2017 was the warmest  average temp for Phoenix AZ on record. I believe it.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

416Ford

Quote from: "Crosley"You folks may not want me to talk about the weather here in the Valley of the Sun Arizona.  

You may be right about that. It's still snowing here in West Michigan. We won't see the grass again till March or April at this pace. And it's a balmy 14 today, regular heat wave.   :)
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

416Ford

A buddy asked me to come over and help him with a welding project. Did not tell me it was on the 63 Impala of his that just came back from the painter this fall.
Seems the car had a crack in the paint and every time you closed the right door you could feel the metal move at the spot just behind the right quarter glass. He want me to weld it were the brazing was and I told him It would need to get a lot of paint remove due to the heat. So I started off by tracking the crack to see what was there, could not see anything on the inside since he installed body panel adhesive to the area.  
Ended up being a 1/4" deep split in the steel filled with bondo. It did not hold...
Welded it up last night and I will go back tonight and grind some of the weld out and tap some more of the dent out.

Matt, I don't know how you deal with the rework junk all the time. Someone should have had there hand cut off to prevent them from doing this type of stuff again.

You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

Cword

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "Cword"Now I'm trying to strategise where to draw the line on this clean up.

Mike
Just draw the line somewhere that still allows this kind of stuff.  I know you will. :) Your willingness to drive the roadster in most any conditions is admirable. 8)

That's exactly what will save my sanity. Thanks George.
My first pass under the car really put me off. I think I'll wait a week or so for the roads to clear up and then take it to the car wash. In the mean time I can "shine up" the top half and touch up rock chips.  
Maybe I'll make up a time line poster board of all the places it's been.

Fun Fact, I don't need magnets to prove it's a steel car anymore. It's rusting in all the standard Model A places. :-)
--

idrivejunk

Quote from: "416Ford"A buddy asked me to come over and help him with a welding project. Did not tell me it was on the 63 Impala of his that just came back from the painter this fall.
Seems the car had a crack in the paint and every time you closed the right door you could feel the metal move at the spot just behind the right quarter glass. He want me to weld it were the brazing was and I told him It would need to get a lot of paint remove due to the heat. So I started off by tracking the crack to see what was there, could not see anything on the inside since he installed body panel adhesive to the area.  
Ended up being a 1/4" deep split in the steel filled with bondo. It did not hold...
Welded it up last night and I will go back tonight and grind some of the weld out and tap some more of the dent out.

Matt, I don't know how you deal with the rework junk all the time. Someone should have had there hand cut off to prevent them from doing this type of stuff again.

I have fixed that exact thing on two cars but only on one side on each if I recall correctly. Hope it goes likewise for you. They usually have brazing rod gobbing up the works by the time somebody gets interested in a proper fix. :roll:

Mess fixing puts chow in my belly and it does feel good to straighten them out. But I may have developed a unique skill set, eh?
:lol: I always say heck... even if you're gonna collect trash... collect the hell out of it!

The yellow 71 Chevelle needs a fender, maybe a wheelhouse. Might have been a poor pick of salvage fender somewhere in life because the rest of the car has very little rust repair on it (musta been a 307 Malibu) while the right fender has been crunched and has rust hiding.
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "Cword"
Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "Cword"Now I'm trying to strategise where to draw the line on this clean up.

Mike
Just draw the line somewhere that still allows this kind of stuff.  I know you will. :) Your willingness to drive the roadster in most any conditions is admirable. 8)

That's exactly what will save my sanity. Thanks George.
My first pass under the car really put me off. I think I'll wait a week or so for the roads to clear up and then take it to the car wash. In the mean time I can "shine up" the top half and touch up rock chips.  
Maybe I'll make up a time line poster board of all the places it's been.

Fun Fact, I don't need magnets to prove it's a steel car anymore. It's rusting in all the standard Model A places. :-)

If it means anything to you, I walk right past minty fresh show cars and find the ones showing plenty of gentle use most intriguing. Don't knock yourself out unless you're trophy hunting. After all they are cars and if they don't provide ttransportation... well thats artsy fartsy. :) Drivers at shows should have a special section marked "actual vehicles only please". :arrow:
Matt

UGLY OLDS

WOW   :!:  :!:   That other place was REALLY  scary.... :roll:   Nobody there.. :?  Worse than the powder room..    I turned off the lights when I left .... 8)

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

chimp koose

kb426

The new intake manifold arrived for the 51 so tomorrow I guess I'll be pretending to be a mechanic. The original intake is 11 years old. If it had to fail, I wish it would have started leaking when the front fenders were off. :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

that's the intake from the mustang right ?  :P

kb426

C.K., that's the original on the 06 crown vic engine. I still have the mustang intake if you're interested. :)
TEAM SMART

41woodie

Just before Christmas the driver's door on the woodie finally reached a point where it would not latch at all.  After studying things for a couple of cups of hot cider I decided that the various finger joints, butt joints and rusted wood screws had reached a point of disrepair that I could no longer ignore.
Removed the door and found that all of the fasteners that pin the tenon joints had rusted to a point that they were completely loose in the holes causing all of the joints to be floppy loose.
I'm ordering stainless steel boat hardware, West System Epoxy, clamps etc to start the repairs but the first thing that has to happen is it get warm enough that the epoxy will cure properly.  I can heat the garage using portable propane heaters but I refuse to leave them running at night when I'm snug in my bed so I'll just have to sit in front of the fireplace and read until this cold snap is finally over.

kb426

41woodie, it would be nice if you would post pics of the repairs. There are some of us that don't know much about wood repairs and it be enlightening. :) I have the intake off the 51 and I'm taking a break. Bending over the fenders is not great fun. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

A little after 2pm, I finished the intake manifold swap. There were 2 bolts that didn't line up properly. All I can say now is it's running and so far there's no coolant leaking. :) Leaning over the fenders was a little painful but the rest was just time consuming.
TEAM SMART

41woodie

Quote from: "kb426"41woodie, it would be nice if you would post pics of the repairs. There are some of us that don't know much about wood repairs and it be enlightening. :) I have the intake off the 51 and I'm taking a break. Bending over the fenders is not great fun. :)

Can't imagine anyone would be interested but glad to do it.  My supplies are arriving the first of the week and we're looking at a gradual warmup in temps so I'll be putting more time into it.  So far I've been gluing up some broken pieces but I'll start taking photos to document the joys of owning a woodie.