EXTREMELY LOW TECH WHEEL STAND

Started by donsrods, May 31, 2007, 05:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donsrods

In fact, NO TECH would be more like it, but it saved me a little manhandling of the wheels when I had to sand them yesterday to prepare them for a new color.

Normally, I would lay a wheel on the ground and sand it, but I spotted my round mechanics stool sitting there, so I plopped the wheel on it and found it made a perfect holder.  It even swivels so that I could turn the wheel as I went along, and it placed it at a nice working level so that I could sit on a chair and work comfortably.  Yeah, I know it's super simple, but thought it might save someone else a sore back.

Gotta put it in two posts, have two pictures.  :)

Don

donsrods

and with the wheel placed on it.

The high tech part comes in because I put an Ace Hardware bag over the seat cushion to protect it.

Don

58 Yeoman

Could I use a walmart bag instead of ace hardware?  I've got a lot of those. :lol:

Good tip Don.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

GPster

I'd have to use a bar stool. That way the wheel would be high enough so I could sit in a chair while sanding. I'd have to get the heigth differential correct (between the chair and bar stool) to put my nose within the 17" range so my bi-focals would work. I don't know about the wheels though. I'd have to sand it into a corner so it couldn't get away. GPster

donsrods

WalMart bag might work, but it's untested waters, so you would be on your own with this one.  Mill thickness of the plastic and all that, you know.  :D

Don

jusjunk

Quote from: "donsrods"WalMart bag might work, but it's untested waters, so you would be on your own with this one.  Mill thickness of the plastic and all that, you know.  :D

Don

Oh Boy..Gettin deep in here.. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
dave

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "donsrods"WalMart bag might work, but it's untested waters, so you would be on your own with this one.  Mill thickness of the plastic and all that, you know.  :D

Don

I don't see why a Wal-Mart bag wouldn't work, the * things are virtually indestructable, unless you are carrying a glass bottle in one, then the bottom is sure to rip right out :shock:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

GPster

Quote from: "jusjunk"
Quote from: "donsrods"WalMart bag might work, but it's untested waters, so you would be on your own with this one.  Mill thickness of the plastic and all that, you know.  :D Don
Oh Boy..Gettin deep in here.. :lol:  :lol:  :lol: dave
Talking about getting deep, I use Walmart bags (sometimes two) to line a drywall mud pail that I use when I clean up my back yard. Puppy is 83# and Kelsey is 86# and together they gererate a lot of ____ (whatever you want to call it). That could be my Tech Tip. I cut slots in the corners of the bucket about 2" from each corner. When I place the bags in the pail I have the handles of each bag positioned at the corners the pail with the each handle place at the opposite corner. The bag handle is put down a slot,around a pail corner and in another slot with the bag in the pail. The second bag is placed in the first bag and it's handles use the slots in the remaining corners. When the bags are full they are above the fill area and they can be knotted closed to secure the package. I will save the coffee can devise that I use to gather the "Bag Fill" for the next "Tech Quiz". GPster

donsrods

Problem with WalMart is that you have to get all gussied up to go there.  

You might be a Redneck, if..............................

:D  :D  :D

Don