lubricant for moonroof rails

Started by 48builder, February 28, 2024, 06:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I took the moonroof off a late 90's Ford Taurus and welded into this '48 project. Worked great when I did it 20-some years ago. I just put it back in and it drags and does not close completely. I've synched the motor according to factory service directions and still does not close. I ordered some Krytox grease for the rubber seal around the glass, which is what Ford recommends.

However, they don't have anything in the service manuals about what to use on the rails themselves. I stopped at my local Ford dealer and the parts guy spent 15 minutes looking in the manuals for me and he couldn't find anything.

Anybody have experience with lubing moonroofs? There are a couple cables that are surrounded by a sheath. I plan on shooting some silicone down those tubes and then putting some silicone on the rails unless I get a better suggestion.

Walt

PS: Having loads of trouble with leaks. Brakes, tranny lines, water pump. Slowly getting them taken care of. I put a new pump on last weekend and I think that is leaking around one of the gaskets. I put a little copper gasket maker on them and maybe I shouldn't have done that. Will probably take it off again this weekend. I can do it an hour or so.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

kb426

I'm not much help but one of my friends made his living installing sunroofs. He told me that the biggest problem was that people left them open and they got dirty and failed to work. So cleanliness would be my thought. As far as leaks, I have way more than I used to. I'd like to have a good answer but all I can say is "what did I do". I don't always find that I made a mistake. I keep working until I get it. Patience is very important. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Go to Amazon and type in Sun roof grease
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48builder

Why didn't I think of that, Frank. I ordered some German lube designed for sun roofs. Also ordered the Krytox Ford recommends for the rubber seal. $25 for half an ounce! Hope it works good. Thank you.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver