2024: What are you doing today?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 01, 2024, 07:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

I never appreciated the 71-73 Mustangs that much when they were new. That's despite Dad having one as a rental when his Ranchero was in the body shop, and a High School friend with a 429 Super Cobra Jet. I always thought of them as being way too big. In reality, they were almost the same physical size of the 1969-70, but a little wider in order to fit the 385 series big blocks. The later car is a little heavier, but not that much. Today I'd say they're a fine car and I'd love to have one.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

chimp koose

spent some time on the chopper today. I made the bottom plate to mount the jack shaft pedestals on to . I have to open up the holes a bit and then I am going to make a plate for under it that will have the 4 mounting holes drilled into it . the mounting plate is slotted for chain tensioning ,the plate for under it will not be slotted . The slotted mounting plate gets welded to the frame .

idrivejunk

CK, your descriptions are highly intriguing but wish I could see. Screw drive chopper sounds far out, man! 8) Flake Freak! :shock:

Jaybee, yessir I concluded theres enough body on that gen (5" wider) to be something. That blind spot is just a monster though. On the fastback 73 I think the quarters got more blocky which is cool but they went more curvaceous with the fenders, skipping back a gen to the '68 styling a bit. The 71-3 nose is inarguably more aerodynamic and the nostrils are cool. The long slim snoot with stubby flanks style does push it toward the personal luxury coupe image that I like.

This week I was alone in the grey room quite a bit and at one point when I let the lift down all the way I said to myself: That is just a funny looking car body. And it is. Owner wants maximum chrome on it so we'll see what boils out.

I spread the chores out fairly even this weekend. Even took the GT out today. It has been nice to sit by an open window lately with no barking issues. Peaceful and cloudy calm days in between storms mostly. Suddenly, it will be blazin summer. :arrow: But for now, tranquility reigns. :)
Matt

kb426

I've been down with a head cold. This is starting to annoy me. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Everybody get well soon! :)

My next job project-

Matt

58 Yeoman

What are the plans for it, Matt?  Restoration or custom?  I've always liked those years Chevy/GMC.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

idrivejunk

Me too, Phil. Its a long bed 4x4 which makes the odds slim for customizing. All I know about it is '71, 350 Qjet, tube headers, looks like it might run, whole bed is toast, roof is badly dented, aaand of course...

All I need, to get to work on it is the bare cab and it is crawling with ants. I scattered ant poison on the floor and seat today.
Matt

chimp koose

did some 'sculpting' on the jack shaft pedestals today. They had a bulky industrial look to them .

Crosley.In.AZ

We have watched some of the Highway Patrol TV shows in recent weeks..  Neat to see the old cars that were new then , in action... Lets say the suspensions on them old cars were weak , loose, need more dampening from the shock absorbers.

Lots of 1957 Ford Fairlanes , new 1957 chevys , hardtops and convertibles. Buick Specials , Roadmasters. Mopar hardtops , convertibles   
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

When I was in the hospital, I'd watch Perry Mason.  Loved the 59 Ford Retractable and the convertibles.  Did not like the huge barge of a Lincoln in a couple episodes.  It was really out of place.  I did watch Highway Patrol a couple times.  10-4.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

chimp koose

almost finished with the jack shaft setup . The mounting plate is welded to bike frame , pedestal mounts are "sculpted" and resemble the large end of a connecting rod . Just need to drill and tap for a vent and then press the bearings in . There is a bike swap meet coming up and I think I may just buy Harley calipers and mounts rather than spend the time designing and machining my own mounts to adapt Suzuki brakes to Harley rotors/forks . I have a question for anyone who might know. How small of a battery can I use in this bike to start and operate this 1000cc Suzuki engine ? What are the dimensions of the smallest battery that would work ? I am considering putting the coils , fuse panel and battery just beneath the gas tank and covering/hiding them with a fake tank bottom . I have what is called a coffin tank that sits just above the bottom of the frames backbone. I may be able to hide a small battery etc. below the tank by putting another set of angles/facets underneath the tank to look like the tank is just that much deeper and tucking them up in that space .Project creep? I have learned to accept my ocd in regard to building things. lol

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: 58 Yeoman on May 16, 2024, 10:45:09 PMWhen I was in the hospital, I'd watch Perry Mason.  Loved the 59 Ford Retractable and the convertibles.  Did not like the huge barge of a Lincoln in a couple episodes.  It was really out of place.  I did watch Highway Patrol a couple times.  10-4.

Yeah , lots of convertibles in Perry Mason.. They put Bill Hopper (Paul Drake) in a T Bird and Bill was a good sized fellow. He did not fit the early T-Birds well.  LOL

:o
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

C.K., I'm assuming the engine is a v twin? They have different requirements than a 4 cylinder so I'd look at similar listings. I have only owned inlines and smaller v's so I'm not much help.
TEAM SMART