Brake lines

Started by OlBuzzard, February 22, 2004, 07:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlBuzzard

I'm finally getting back to my '36 Ford tudor humpback after remodeling our old house.  I haven't built a street rod since the '60s so the RRT has been a wealth of information--I've mostly been lurking though I did introduce myself a while back as Buzzard.  My question is what I should use for running my fuel line.  An old hot rodder here told me to use 3/8" copper tubing but I just wanted to verify that is safe.  Thanks!

WZ JUNK

I have used the steel line that auto parts stores sell for brake line.  I recently used some steel tubing on a customer car that he had bought in a coil from Summit.  It was cheap but difficult to work.  It had to be straightened and then bent into the shape of the fuel line.  I understand you can buy aluminum fuel line from Summit that is easier to work.

I would not use copper even though I have seen it on many old cars.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

I would not reccommend copper fuel lines, I use Bundyflex steel tubing from the auto parts store.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

32tom

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I have used the steel line that auto parts stores sell for brake line.  I recently used some steel tubing on a customer car that he had bought in a coil from Summit.  It was cheap but difficult to work.  It had to be straightened and then bent into the shape of the fuel line.  I understand you can buy aluminum fuel line from Summit that is easier to work.

I use the steel too even though I think the copper hazzard is exagerated some.

The coiled tubing can be rolled out in the crotch of an angle iron to get a staighter effect. The angle iron straightens the tubing in both planes instead of only one on the floor.
Too dumb to know any better and too old to care.

jusjunk

Quote from: "OlBuzzard"I'm finally getting back to my '36 Ford tudor humpback after remodeling our old house.  I haven't built a street rod since the '60s so the RRT has been a wealth of information--I've mostly been lurking though I did introduce myself a while back as Buzzard.  My question is what I should use for running my fuel line.  An old hot rodder here told me to use 3/8" copper tubing but I just wanted to verify that is safe.  Thanks!
I used summit aluminum on the 32 and also the 34 I sold . No problems with it..
Dave :lol:

Jimc

I got the Summit Aluminum for a t buckey i had.
Sold the bucket, and the new owner is still running the Aluminum.

Jim
Life in the fast lane aint so great. Just ask the opossum

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "32tom"
Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I have used the steel line that auto parts stores sell for brake line.  I recently used some steel tubing on a customer car that he had bought in a coil from Summit.  It was cheap but difficult to work.  It had to be straightened and then bent into the shape of the fuel line.  I understand you can buy aluminum fuel line from Summit that is easier to work.

The coiled tubing can be rolled out in the crotch of an angle iron to get a staighter effect. The angle iron straightens the tubing in both planes instead of only one on the floor.

As a kid I had copper oil lines to feed the over head valves on my Ford motor continuesly would crack and brake, copper work hardens and fails. My experience Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

Dirk35

I too used the aluminum line that Summit sells. Super easy to work with, but the AN fittings are pricey. Id think you could get the fittings that go to a barbed fitting and use line clamps to save you some green. Then, itd only cost you the two AN fittings.

OlBuzzard

Thanks to you all.  I've ordered a new Summit catalog today.

av8

Quote from: "32tom"The coiled tubing can be rolled out in the crotch of an angle iron to get a staighter effect. The angle iron straightens the tubing in both planes instead of only one on the floor.

Excellent tip, 32tom. I'll use it on the next brake job I do. I plumb five or six cars each year for Vern Tardel and it's always a struggle to get the straight runs straight in all planes. Thanks!

bowtietillidie

Quote from: "32tom"

Here is another way to get tubing straight .    I unroll a whole coil at a time than I always have some straighted out for the next job.   I use two old vice grips with a washer welded to the adjuster screw big enough to get a com-a-long hook in to . Next I place two cars face to face and far enough apart to get the lenght of tubing and my rigging hooked up . Make sure the cars are in park and the e-brake set. Next hook the com-a-long to the frame of one of the cars and the other end to the vice grips , take the other pair of vice grips and a short lenght of chain , hook the chain to the frame of the car  and to the vice grips . Now clamp the vice grips very tightly to the tubing now tighten the com-a-long, With steel tubing pull a Good strain on it . Releace the tension look at your work if is still  not straight as a string pull on it harder . This will not hurt the tubbing in any way and makes for a very nice looking job. I used this method for years as a constrution boilermaker . I never had a failure because of streched tubing, so I feel it is very safe  :idea:                BOWTIETILLIDIE
BOWTIETILLIDIE