2024: What are you doing today?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 01, 2024, 07:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Crosley.In.AZ

Ever had some tools that you have set aside for say 2 decades or longer?  :lol:  Small stuff. Budget stuff, that you may have replaced with better quality or a larger tool kit?

Yeah, I am guilty.  Even with my massive down sizing a few yrs ago, I still had many misc tools.  I tried selling many of them at swap meets a few yrs ago..  I brought them back home.

I tossed most of them friday.

How about those misc jars, cans of misc screws , bolts , nutz? I still have a few , actually added to them a bit that I keep in the RV.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

WZ JUNK

Since I posted this photo on another thread by mistake yesterday, I will post it here now.  I should be ready to paint by Tuesday.  I plan to paint outside as I do not care about the final results and I just want it one color and shiny.  I just thought that this photo kind of makes it look like it is floating.

WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

idrivejunk

Hey I had a Chevy that did that too. :arrow: (makes photo album shuffling on desk sounds)

Bill, I yeah... or naw... ain't familiar with Ford suspensions. When I think of that, ye olde "twin I-beam" emblem pops into head. But I'm betting you are right... something like a bolt on M2 downstairs but based on the Fox era setup makes sense. GM muscle and smog era (only one leaf sprung X body) is all I'm familiar with and these Ford jobs are all just body on my end. So I skip paying attention where it doesn't pay to. One day it will all be next to the car, all bets are off til then.

Currently the 73 RR tub lacks one more R&I for trimming and weld prep. In my plan, the roof will go on last like factory and next operation after tubs is cut towers. The question of connectors or not has been input, but a Wats-link style setup is spec'd for out back. "Bolt-in". Theres that word again.
Matt

kb426

TEAM SMART

enjenjo

QuoteAs I remember with my feeble brain, the fox bodies were marketed with a modified mac strut and it looks similar to the Gateway link so I'll go with that.

Yes the Fox bodies has a Macpherson strut, but no spring on it. The engineer , Earl Macpherson who invented the strut worked for GM at the time, but they had no interest in it. He moved to Ford and his srut was first used on the French Simca in 1954 which at the time was owned by Ford. The first use of it in a Ford was the 1960 English Ford Consul, although the 1959 Anglia had a version of it before that, a strut with a king pin in it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

I have been chasing some electrical gremlins on a friends Chevy.  This car was heavily damaged in the Joplin tornado.  He redid the car hisself. Very nice.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

idrivejunk

Nice ^^^  :)

KB, I might be the only guy anywhere who sands things or paints in between before assembly. To me, it is easiest and best. Pretty sure that non car people customers have less questions about progress pics too, if they look neat and clean. :)

Gave the McPherson strut wiki a read and now I know why I can't stand the ride they give. Shock sees the same motion as the wheel with no leverage in between. Its not like I haven't rebuilt or replaced struts before, I have. McP struts are #2 on the list of fundamentals I detest about the cars I'm stuck with probably for life.
Matt

58 Yeoman

John, if that's a 327 4 speed SS, my oldest brother had one just like it around '66.  It was a beauty, too, same color.  Unfortunately, he got in an accident and screwed the front end up, bending the frame.  Get this, the body shop that fixed it, cut the bent frame up in little pieces, then welded it together. In pieces.  Not good.  He said after he got it back, it acted really weird, so he traded it on a new Dodge Coronet.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

58 Yeoman

Cool.  I really liked that car.  My middle brother had a 63 Galaxie XL convertible, 390 4 speed with a 4:11 rear end.  I liked that one too, but it just didn't match up with the Chevy.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

I have the first RV leaf spring equalizer in place.  In one photo, notice the grease zert with red grease on it. Its very close to the brace on the hanger..Since this equalizer moves with the suspension  I decided to change the zert to a short straight design for more clearance.

The new looking bracket in there is part of a new cross brace I am adding to the suspension leaf spring hangers... More later on that.

I have not gotten too far with the RV suspension in recent daze. Issues came up that slowed me down.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

jaybee

There are a couple of outfits who build K members to bolt a Fox Mustang front suspension under a Falcon-chassis Mustang or other car. Fine for those who want it, but I just don't see it. There's just too much that can be done to help those cars without having to tear everything off and start from fresh.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

idrivejunk

A 73 has a sturdy sheetmetal engine crossmember.

The new front suspension will retain the radius rod and lower control arm.

The notch panels and the supplied patterns are not for this car so I am winging it.

F-1 bed is shot. Maybe the rest is too. Satin inner fenders are.
Matt

idrivejunk

I wonder if the blue 64 Impala SS I bodyworked and painted in 2010 ever got assembled. Owner made me stop during buffing. Boy I got ripped off on that job but it enabled ne to keep my house.

I also wonder if the 83 280ZX I bodyworked and rebuilt suspension (McPs) on was ever assembled.

I wonder if the 69 Camaro body I completely reskinned ever got put together.

I wonder if the Nomad will ever be seen in public.

I wonder if the A will ever go home.

I wonder if the Cat will ever get in an article.

Those are a few of my wonders of the world. I think the lift I'm using now blew a seal yesterday.

:)
Matt

kb426

The bed looks good, Matt. I understand your wonders. :)
TEAM SMART