dot 5 brake fluid

Started by sirstude, September 19, 2014, 09:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

Anyone have experience with this.  My Olds is now ready to fill the brake system.  I have covered everything that is around any fittings with plastic to shield the paint, but still thinking about Dot 5. All the brake pieces are new and have never had brake fluid of any kind in them.  I know when it first was put out to the public, there were issues with soft pedals.  I plan to vacuum bleed it first, then I have one of those cheap pressure bleeders.  The kind made of a pressurized plastic canister with no bladder.  I know you don't want to keep brake fluid in them because of the water, but in either case it will be new fluid, and the remainder disposed of.  Mostly, just wondering what anyone's thoughts/experience with the Dot 5 is.

Thanks
Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

purplepickup

I have DOT5 fluid in my truck.  It's great as far as not eating paint but I did have one problem.  I don't know if it was because the fluid was DOT 5 or not but on a trip out west a few of us climbed Pikes Peak.  No one else had a problem but when I pulled up to stop at the gift shop on top, I had absolutely NO brakes.  The master cyl was full.  When it was time to leave I had no choice but to go back down in first gear without brakes.  It was a hairy ride to say the least but about halfway down I got brakes again.  I never had any other problems, but......
George

river1

Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

enjenjo

Another issue with DOT5, if any moisture does get in the system, it does not mix with the fluid, but forms droplets. If the droplets are big enough, and it gets below freezing, they can block the brake lines. Meaning the lines should be flushed to expel any water. Of course regular brake fluid should be flushed every couple years too.

On a similar note, I have been having a problem finding DOT4 brake fluid, It seems that every one here has it on back order. When I need some it may take three stops to find a dealer with some in stock.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

i have been thinking about this for a while..

and yes.. this is sick and twisted...

having or creating some kind of gallon size tank..   threading/gluing together some pipe... even some abs scraps and caps...  

even using one of these if available..
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-1-4-quarter-gallon-oil-extractor-46149.html

but i am low buck... hooking it up to a second car that runs.. by using the power brake booster vacuum hose to supply vacuum..

using some kind of hose that might not collapse and 2 people to bleed the brakes one with a dispenser of fluid... another under the car going to the different bleeder screws to hook up the vacuum reservoir to vacuum bleed the brakes really fast..

even one of the mightyvac extractors.. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools-Garage-and-Equipment/Fluid-Evacuator/_/N-26l7

oh... i always keep a gallon of two of water really close to where i am working on brakes. as brake fluid except for dot 5 is water-soluble if you can wash/rinse it off before it melts the paint surface..

sirstude

After looking into things and listining to everyone, I am going Dot 4.  Does seem to be kind of hard to find.  Everyone has the 12 oz bottles, but no larger sizes.  

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

rumrumm

I have run DOT 5 in my deuce since it was new and have had no issues. The main difference I noticed is that I have a slightly spongy pedal. It's not bad, just a noticeable difference from the power brakes in my other vehicles.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com