The Model Car Thread

Started by Carps, July 13, 2010, 08:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carps

Considering there's more than a few of us here are children of the '50s and '60s, I figure there's got to be more than just me, still building model cars.

That being so, then I'm thinking maybe we should have a model cars thread.

I'll start the ball rolling with one I'm currently working on, an ARDUN powered '32 roadster.

The base kit is from Revellogram, with parts from many other sources in true hot rodding tradition.

The decklid was cut from the body and replaced with the louvred part from the new 5 window coupe kit.  
Wheels are from the Revellogram '49 Merc kit and tyres are resin parts from the parts box.

The basic engine is from the Revellogram '50 Ford Pick-up, but since the heads in that kit are not right, I'm using parts from Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland.  
The magneto was adapted from an AMT kit and the inlet manifolds modified to accept the R&M SCoTT supercharger.

I'm sticking with the kit rear axle assy, as it positions the wheels correctly and looks like an early Olds unit.
It'll be mounted on a transverse spring.

Since it's a street car, it needs a generator, which was a little tricky, however using an obscure AMT part and some fabrication it now works dual duty as an idler for the blower drive belts..

That deuce firewall doesn't come in any kit, it was scratchbuilt, although I've since learned there's one available from the aftermarket.

Before it's done, this one will get some other cool tricks like cowl steering, '40 deluxe dash and Duval windscreen.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Carps

Here's another one I've almost finished, based on my old buddy Leo's '40 Convert.  This is one of only 2 cars remaining to have attended every Aussie Street Rod Nat's since the first in 1972, basically unchanged and with it's original owner/builder.

Drivetrain and underneath matches the original car, even down to right hand steering.

The dash was cut into 6 pieces for the RHD conversion.

I used a small leather working tool that's like a soldering iron with interchangable tips, to modify the kit seats so they look like the real car.

The flames don't quite match but most of the other details are there.

So c'mon gang there's got to be some model builders out there.

Post your pics here and inspire the rest of us to get the plastic out.
Carps

BFS57

Hello;
You are good! Every time I build one of thos things I get gluey finger prints all over the darn thing!
One thing I am good at is (while some were building model cars) Model Airplanes (NOT RC!!!) controline stunt was my thing. Can't find hardley any space to fly in anymore!
Hope that some guys join in. When I was in High School there was a guy that would build model cars that were super great!! he really had the touch. He would use heat to bend frames to make radical looking T's and other models.

Bruce

Mikej

I'm amazed at the detail on these models. I was thinking the other day about the first one I did. A 65 Corvair. I put it together in the back of a pick-up on the way to Yellowstone. I was 10. I'm looking to buy a 65 Corvair with 33000 miles day. Their price and mine maybe alittle apart yet. Corsa 140HP. 4 Carbs What fun the wife will have. It is for her after all.

UGLY OLDS

Very nice work Carps ......   I wish my REAL cars looked that good  :lol:   8)

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Carnut

Yes Carps those are unreal models, absolutely superb craftsmanship.

All my models now a days are purchased diecast, mostly because they are better built than I could do and because they are a bit more sturdy.

47convert

Nice work Carps! I noticed you mentioned aftermarket stuff. Any idea where these aftermarket pieces can be purchased? I'm looking for some tall tires to build a model of my '34 Hiboy. The real thing has 31.5" tall tires

enjenjo

Quote from: "47convert"Nice work Carps! I noticed you mentioned aftermarket stuff. Any idea where these aftermarket pieces can be purchased? I'm looking for some tall tires to build a model of my '34 Hiboy. The real thing has 31.5" tall tires

Go to Scale Auto Enthusiast on line, they have a lot of resources.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

I've watched your work for several years. You're way better than I was as a kid. Very good!
TEAM SMART

truck

Has anyone seen or know if a model A is available? prefer roadster, but can fix that :)

Carps

Quote from: "Carnut"All my models now a days are purchased diecast, mostly because they are better built than I could do and because they are a bit more sturdy.
No problems there Carnut, I have plenty of die cast models in all scales and there's plenty I know are out there that I don't have so post 'em up for us all to enjoy.

For many years I managed to avoid the large 1/18 scale stuff coz nobody did Hot Rods, once the American Graffiti stuff arrived that was it, now I've got weay too many large scale hot rods and customs.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I set these shots up using 1/18 die cast models, to show some people who didn't previously understand, why we love our hot rods.............  :wink:

Carps

Carps

Quote from: "truck"Has anyone seen or know if a model A is available? prefer roadster, but can fix that :)

What year?

What scale?

Is the model A roadster above suitable?  It's 1/18 die cast and they are still available in various configurations, such as with 4 banger, stock windscreen, V8, lakes trim, steelies, wires or mags etc....
Carps

Carps

Quote from: "kb426"I've watched your work for several years. You're way better than I was as a kid.
Thanx KB, I'm now way better than when I was a kid!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Carps

Carps

Quote from: "47convert"Any idea where these aftermarket pieces can be purchased? I'm looking for some tall tires to build a model of my '34 Hiboy. The real thing has 31.5" tall tires

The tyres on the deuce are possibly pretty close, they are from www.thepartsbox.com

Replicas and miniatures have some great stuff but don't do on line, I usually send a cheque with my order.

In the US, many local hobby shops also offer a good range of aftermarket goodies from various suppliers, or can advise where to get stuff locally ort on line.
Carps

truck

Carps, i have a couple of diecast metal ones, but i am after a 28 kit so i can build same as my real one :)