Proper hookup for the 700R4 TV cable to a carb.....

Started by 1FATGMC, April 19, 2007, 12:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

I just modified another carb to hook a 700R4 TV cable to it with the proper geometry and also made a mount for the housing end of the TV cable.

It is all ( HERE ).  

This is vital if you are using a 700R4 and want it to live very long.

Hope it helps someone,

Sum

Baby Deuce

Pretty cool job! I like that most typical TV cables for GM automatics are easily adjustable, too. I've run Ford AOD transmissions before and made my own adjustable cable ends for them, but the GM method is much cleaner looking. Good idea to have a trans guy do the final setting with a pressure gauge, and then you're good to go! Thanks for that little dose of 'tech support'!
If you are not criticized, you may not be doing much.

sal37

Sum
I noticed in recent magazines that TCI (I think) is advertising some new valve to reduce the possiblity of destroying a 700R4 though poor cable adjustment, do you know anything about this?  are they worthwhile?  I am going to use a 700R4 but the thought of potentially destroying a rebuilt box just scares the ***t out of me.

Steve

1FATGMC

Quote from: "sal37"Sum
I noticed in recent magazines that TCI (I think) is advertising some new valve to reduce the possibility of destroying a 700R4 though poor cable adjustment, do you know anything about this?  are they worthwhile?  I am going to use a 700R4 but the thought of potentially destroying a rebuilt box just scares the ***t out of me.

Steve

I'm not familiar with the valve, maybe Tony is.  

Don't be scared, just set it up like what I showed.  It isn't that hard.  I've setup 3 carbs for 700's now and one at John's for a 200 and have had no problems.  The one in the truck now has almost 100,000 on it since it was re-built.

There isn't any magic to it, just a few angles.  Some guys just hook the cable to the nearest attach point on the carb and call it good.  Those are the ones loosing the transmissions.  You won't.

c ya,

Sum

Baby Deuce

That new TCI part is a "constant pressure valve". You still need to run a properly adjusted TV cable with it, but what it does is it prevents the possibility of the transmission just 'dumping' line pressure. It's a fail-safe feature, rather than a crutch or a substitute for proper TV cable hookup and adjustment.
If you are not criticized, you may not be doing much.