Some big 'uns

Started by phat46, April 29, 2020, 10:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

Not the Al Bundy type, Pistons. My friend that drives the 1000 ft long freighters sent me a picture of the pistons used on his ship, the Mesabi Miner. The boat has two, 16 cylinder engines, each hole is 500 h.p. Total of 16,000 h.p. She is one of few freighters power by internal combustion engines, most are steam turbine/ electric. A few years back he gave me a set of rings from one of these pistons, they are 16" in dia. He said he wanted to get a piston, but can't pick one up, and he's strong like bull!

enjenjo

I had an uncle that used to work in the shipyard at Manistee.  He was a machinist and one saturday when I was visiting him he had to go down to the shipyard to check on a crankshaft he was turning.  The crank throw was about 4 ft diameter, and nearly as wide, turning very slowly.  He had to go in every four hours or so to check it, and set up the next cut.  There was another guy there honing a cylinder. He was standing on a ladder inside the cylinder honing it with a 9" sander.  Crosshatch of course.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

Far cry from the 1500cc VW engines I used to work on. :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

idrivejunk

Those are some honkin' jugs!  :shock:  :shock:
Matt

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"I had an uncle that used to work in the shipyard at Manistee.  He was a machinist and one saturday when I was visiting him he had to go down to the shipyard to check on a crankshaft he was turning.  The crank throw was about 4 ft diameter, and nearly as wide, turning very slowly.  He had to go in every four hours or so to check it, and set up the next cut.  There was another guy there honing a cylinder. He was standing on a ladder inside the cylinder honing it with a 9" sander.  Crosshatch of course.

The engines on the Miner have separate cylinders, when they replace a piston the jug gets replaced too. I had a picture from my friend of a guy standing on the crank with about half of him sticking out of the hole! There are beams over the engine with chainfalls on trollies to lift things off. The Miner had several jugs and pistons replaced over the Winter in layup and broke a ring on her first trip this season, they limped along on 8,000 h.p. to port and changed a cylinder, no problems since. I have a hold down nut from one of the cylinder heads, it about 2 1/2", I think there are 12 per cyl!

Crosley.In.AZ

Very large!   I sit here:  wondering what the spray bottle of white vinegar is used for?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "Crosley"Very large!   I sit here:  wondering what the spray bottle of white vinegar is used for?

I read on another site where vinegar is a good weed killer. :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

phat46

Quote from: "Crosley"Very large!   I sit here:  wondering what the spray bottle of white vinegar is used for?

LOL, I'll have to ask him, but  I think he went through the Soo Locks last nght, so he would be in the middle of Superior now, no phone service out there, they  should be close enough to shore later today.

phat46

I messaged my friend on the freighter today and asked about the vinegar, he wasn't sure and said he'd ask the Chief. Possibly for decontamination of the caustic they get loaded on to stop emissions from the crude they burn. But anyway he sent me a picture of the boat in the Soo Locks after he brought her in. I can't imagine steering a 1000' ship into a lock with only a few feet clearance on each side. Had to turn it sideways to fit our format here!

idrivejunk

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I had an uncle that used to work in the shipyard at Manistee.  He was a machinist and one saturday when I was visiting him he had to go down to the shipyard to check on a crankshaft he was turning.  The crank throw was about 4 ft diameter, and nearly as wide, turning very slowly.  He had to go in every four hours or so to check it, and set up the next cut.  There was another guy there honing a cylinder. He was standing on a ladder inside the cylinder honing it with a 9" sander.  Crosshatch of course.

The engines on the Miner have separate cylinders, when they replace a piston the jug gets replaced too. I had a picture from my friend of a guy standing on the crank with about half of him sticking out of the hole! There are beams over the engine with chainfalls on trollies to lift things off. The Miner had several jugs and pistons replaced over the Winter in layup and broke a ring on her first trip this season, they limped along on 8,000 h.p. to port and changed a cylinder, no problems since. I have a hold down nut from one of the cylinder heads, it about 2 1/2", I think there are 12 per cyl!

Aww. :oops:

Jugs, slugs... good thing I'm a bodyman! :mrgreen:  :lol:

Either way, thats some of the big un's. 8) (not french fried taters)
Matt

phat46

The answer to the question about the vinegar in the sprayer is that it is used for decontamination in case of contact with the caustic that is loaded on the ship that is mixed in the stacks to reduce exhaust  emissions. The ships with that equipment produce a white vapor from the stacks that is supposed to be harmless water vapor. The crude they use for fuel is so thick it most be heated to thin it for use!

Crosley.In.AZ

OK ...   I was curious why a sprayer with white vinegar was in the area. Not a common sight.  :shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)